5 replies to this topic

#1 Stavy33

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:00 PM

So, I've run a mile a day every day for the past 4.5 years. In all those days I can count that I've fallen twice in the last 2 months.

The latest fall happened this morning. I was on the flat doing a very slow pace of 7.30 p/km when I tripped on the foot path and did a Superman fly onto my right knee and palms.

I rolled onto my back, cursed loudly twice, got myself up, settled myself down for about a minute before I reset and started running again.

I wasn't in any pain but was of course watching ahead of me. At the time of the fall I was looking at my ipod because the music had stopped.

I'm starting to see a pattern emerge though because the first fall two months ago was due to ipod fiddling.

It's never been a problem before. I've listened to music while running for over 12 years. Why now?

Stats: 44 y o woman
Weight: Fat!
Injuries: Nil
Health: Perfect

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Stav

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 AndyP

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

Maybe you've just been unlucky. but you could always stop when you need to fiddle with the iPod.

#3 allrounder

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

I've tripped on & off over the last 30 years...on paths & trails...running & orienteering...for me, it's lazy running/not lifting my feet/complacency...i can pick my way through a tricky rocky trail and then trip when I'm on the flat!...i've had some spectacular ones at that although the best one was in the city when I tripped on uneven concrete, fell forward and rolled back to my feet and kept running (I'm not sure if anyone noticed it but I didn't stop to check!)...

Edited by allrounder, 31 May 2019 - 11:30 AM.

#4 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

I tend to stumble/trip when im tired. But sometimes it can lead to a spectacular forward roll.
Most of mine are due to tree roots/ uneven pavement etc and probably lack of care, I also have an ipod but its old style push button so generally doesn't create a problem/need me to look at it.
Last time i remember tripping was 9km into a 50km event, I was thinking then its not good if im tired already lol thankfully that was the only time that day.

#5 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

Agree with the two posters above.

Lazy running and tiredness for me, along with losing focus when chatting (had some climate scientist banging his case for a few kays with me in a trail race last year, so I was always destined to fall).  Also, my trip count in Hoka's is high.

But emerging from the bush covered in blood is always a good conversation starter.

#6 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

Last time I fell over running was tripping on a painted root going across the path.  I think someone was trying to be helpful to point out there was a tripping hazard.  Ironically, for me, it had the opposite effect. Ha!