28 replies to this topic

#1 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

Gold Coast marathon is soon.  I'm aiming to knock 4 minutes 41 seconds off my PB (strangely specific but it rounds it down to thenearest 5 minutes).  I've got one mate doing his first marathon and a couple that are doing the half instead.
So who else is in?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 16 June 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

Gold Coast marathon is soon.  I'm aiming to knock 4 minutes 41 seconds off my PB (strangely specific but it rounds it down to thenearest 5 minutes).  I've got one mate doing his first marathon and a couple that are doing the half instead.
So who else is in?
My goal is pretty specific as well, as it happens.
3:20:00. (I am pacing)

#3 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:27 AM

Back for my 20th and first major marathon in the 70+ age group. I always enjoy the trip north from Sydney and the holiday mood at Surfers Paradise etc although very touristy.

#4 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

Gonna be first year since I started running that I wont be running GC :(

...I will probably come down for the day to cheer and support friends though - it'll be nice to see the event from a different perspective I guess!

#5 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

maybe one of your kids could do the 2km dash to keep the Dadagain streak alive :)

#6 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:10 PM

Hope to see you there Seano, Eagle and Dadagain.  It's a shame you're not up to running it DadAgain.  Hopefully you can make a triumphant return next year.
I'll keep an eye out for you all.  Seano should be easy to spot with some 3:20 balloons :)

#7 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 17 June 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

Seano should be easy to spot with some 3:20 balloons :)

Better hope its the balloons and not the disastrous flag backpacks they tried last year that resulted in pacer carnage! I believe they were not adequately ventilated and resulted in some horrendous overheating as well as nasty chaffing. There were a few pacers who dropped out, and at least one who collapsed requiring medical attention!!!

Fingers crossed Seano has a better time than that!

#8 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:25 AM

Hope to see you there Seano, Eagle and Dadagain.  It's a shame you're not up to running it DadAgain.  Hopefully you can make a triumphant return next year.
I'll keep an eye out for you all.  Seano should be easy to spot with some 3:20 balloons :)
True! I'll be the 3.20 pacer with a singlet or shirt on. The other guy never wears a shirt.

View Postdadagain, on 17 June 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

Seano should be easy to spot with some 3:20 balloons :)

Better hope its the balloons and not the disastrous flag backpacks they tried last year that resulted in pacer carnage! I believe they were not adequately ventilated and resulted in some horrendous overheating as well as nasty chaffing. There were a few pacers who dropped out, and at least one who collapsed requiring medical attention!!!

Fingers crossed Seano has a better time than that!
In one of the emails they (PC) advised they are back to balloons this year.

#9 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

I just noticed that you are doing a 100 miler this weekend Seano.  That's one heck of a shake down run for a marathon.  Hats off to you Seano.  Not sure I could do a 100 miler without backing up to a marathon 2 weeks later.

#10 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:22 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 18 June 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

I just noticed that you are doing a 100 miler this weekend Seano.  That's one heck of a shake down run for a marathon.  Hats off to you Seano.  Not sure I could do a 100 miler without backing up to a marathon 2 weeks later.
haha yeah.
I kind of miscalculated & thought there was 3 weeks in between.
The marathon will be faster than a training run for sure, but not a full on race pace.

#11 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

How CR has changed with the chatter about this event being very slow. In years past it was like other events very active. So many posters have moved on.  What do they say the only constant in life is change. Accepted!!! but sadly for some things.

There was an after party at a surf club after the event. Not a mention although I was not a regular attender as I was catching a flight back to Sydney.

#12 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:31 PM

I've picked up my numbers and started hitting refresh on the forecast.  At the moment it says a minimum of 17 degrees and max of 21 and cloudy (with afternoon rain, but most should be done by then).  I'd prefer a little cooler, but I'm still very happy with the outlook.

I'll be in a bright orange running t-shirt, black shorts, white cap and a pair of grey (almost purple according to my wife) Saucony break thru shoes.  I'm tallish and skinny.  Feel free to come up and say hi.

#13 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:58 PM

I have also been looking at the weather. I hope the rain stays away but the warmish weather could be a sight issue. It would be better if it was cooler at the start and stayed that way for a long long time.

#14 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

I'll be watching this year for the first time in ages.... I hope to be around the 34km mark to provide support to some of my crew, I'll be there with gels, snakes, water etc etc and ready to provide whatever assistance is requested!

Last year when I was running with a friend suffering from horrendous cramps our team managed to pull together and someone at 28km phoned ahead so that when we got to 32km  there was water and salt tablets waiting for him. It was fantastic to feel the squad support to assist. Hopefully this year I can provide some value to others!

(If anyone here has any requests for 34km mark and wants a shout out, I'll be in a blue Galeforce tee-shirt and happy to help any way I can.)

#15 Dave_D

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

Unfortunately I will only be running the half this year due to some really annoying hamstring injuries, have missed a few batches of weeks' training, longest run of the year was 20k last week so decided to do the half. Have about 550ks in the bank for the year, but nowhere near enough for the full. Will still enjoy the experience though...........but that 6AM start :Rolling Eyes:  

Good luck everyone.

#16 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

My special request is that you yell some encouraging lies at me Dadagain.  Things like "you're looking great", "you've got this", "nailing it" etc.  I'm pretty sure I'll need it by then.
It's a shame you can't participate - your race reports are always entertaining no matter what the result.  Hope you recover soon.

Hope your hamstring sorts itself Dave_D and that you nail the half.  At Least the early start will mean it's cooler.

#17 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

... And I agree with Eagle.  For me 13 degrees until I hit the finish line would be ideal.  As long as the rain holds off I can cope with the heat.  Being a Queenslander I'm relatively acclimatised.  I do feel sorry for anyone from the southern states especially if they're going to be on the course for a long time.  There's still time for the forecast to improve fingers crossed.

#18 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 03 July 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

... And I agree with Eagle.  For me 13 degrees until I hit the finish line would be ideal.  As long as the rain holds off I can cope with the heat.  Being a Queenslander I'm relatively acclimatised.  I do feel sorry for anyone from the southern states especially if they're going to be on the course for a long time.  There's still time for the forecast to improve fingers crossed.
ran a short run on the back end of the course at 10am today.
after 1km to get on course ran roughly 3km north, 3km south then back west home.
There is a southerly of 32kph today!
This is predicted to drop a bit for sat & further again sunday. (Sunday says 16-18kph)
It was def in the 20's temp wise as well.

I ran an even effort.
Splits were

downwind

upwind

The effort felt even.
The wind at that level, from that direction I could really feel.
It was cooling though!

Wind is predicted to drop by half by Sunday.

The part of the course I ran was from Central St to Lands End & back. This would be from roughly 37km to 40km.

#19 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

I hope the recovery from the 100 miler is coming along well Seano.  I saw your race report - sounds like an awesome experience.  I hope the wind eases - most people will be suffering on that section even if there's no wind.

On the plus side the minimum has dropped to 15.  It should make it a lot more pleasant for the first bit.

Hopefully a few more dozen refreshes will bring an even better forecast.

#20 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:49 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 04 July 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

I hope the recovery from the 100 miler is coming along well Seano.  I saw your race report - sounds like an awesome experience.  I hope the wind eases - most people will be suffering on that section even if there's no wind.

On the plus side the minimum has dropped to 15.  It should make it a lot more pleasant for the first bit.

Hopefully a few more dozen refreshes will bring an even better forecast.
thanks headlamp runner.

winds is very likely to be a  major factor sat, and still a factor sunday given what I'm looking at.

Went to the expo today to pick up bib & stood on pacer stand for a bit.
I found it exciting to be there & enjoyed talking to punters as they filed through.
The whole thing has a great energy to it.

I really had to pull myself away from it eventually as had other commitments & it was an effort to leave because i was enjoying it.

#21 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

I think you're right about the wind Seano - the forecast still has it at 19k/h at 9 and 24k/h at 12.  My advice is to find someone large and fast to hide behind.  Last year was awefully lonely at the end for me... Hopefully I can find someone to share the breeze (or block it).

Unfortunately for you Seano there will be a heap of people using you as shelter - it's part of why they love pacers.  Hope you're the B pacer so you can hide behind those running to gun time :)

#22 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

well. did my best to set even splits as the b pacer.

Didn;t run it out, unfortunately, as when I hit the headwind after lands end my splits started slowing too much.
Decided to explain to runners around me, as best i could, step off course at this point, and remove the balloons as i was worried about running splits that were too slow & people believing they were on track.
As I passed the 35km mark, my net time was 6 seconds behind even splits for 3.20.
Dropped another 12 seconds in the next 2km, so at 37km was 18 seconds behind.
Then ran a 5.06 split, unfortunately as i hit the headwind,
After this split, I made the decision to step off for above reasons.
Would have been close to 40 seconds behind at this stage (38km).

Took forever to get the balloons & the pacing bib off & then jogged for a finish.
Tried to encourage fellow runners as best I could.

5K splits as follows
Distance     Actual                    Target 3.20            (Behind)/in front mins / sec
5k               23.46                     23.40                     (0.06)
10k             47.57                     47.20                     (0.37)
15k             1.11.53                  1.11.00                  (0.53)
20k             1.35.23                  1.34.40                  (0.43)
25k             1.58.40                  1.58.20                  (0.20)
30k             2.21.58                  2.22.00                  0.02
35k             2.45.46                  2.45.40                  (0.06)
40K            3.17.36                  3.09.20                  You work it out! :Cry:
42.2            3.28.57                 3.20.00                  

For the first half I made a rookie error that may not have been the end of the world. (Hopefully)
I was trying to run 4.44 splits by my watch.
I was doing this OK, & getting splits down to 4.42 just before halfway, when I realised the distance on my watch was a fair way over the on course distance.
(Stopped my watch at 42.74km)
Anyway that's when the splits got to nearly a minute behind & had to subsequently put a dint in them.

I was the b pacer, so these splits (up to 37-38km obviously) , whilst by no means perfect, were mostly consistent with what I had told anyone that asked what I was setting out to do - net time even splits.
I knew it would be difficult at 38KM, but I'd always intended to try & keep splits even, despite this & not bank time.
I did go too slow at the start, but that was into a little headwind (contradiction, I know!), & hopefully running a fraction slow over this period didn't hurt too many people, too much.

The combination of running a bit too soon, combines with not quite feeling 100% the day before & the morning of the race, put paid to me running it out.

Hope everyone else had a great day, the conditions were actually pretty decent, with some fast times run.
I had a great time on course, my report may be a bit downbeat, mainly because I'm aware making the mistakes I've made can impact other people running with me, so I don't want to gloss over them too lightly.

#23 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

Oh... also a guy introduced himself to me during the race who was going for, wait for it..
his...
200th...
sub 4 hour marathon today.

He said to have a look at my marathon club in the coming days.

#24 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

In the words of the Nine Inch Nails "I hurt myself today".  Full story in the sub 3 and beyond thread.  In summary:
I got wet
It was windy
It was lonely
I pushed too hard
I faded at the end
I gutted it out
I survived
I'm happy
I'll learn from my mistakes

Seano (Nostradamus) was right about the wind.  It was hard going.

Well done on your pacing Seano - it was a rough day with the wind and noone can blame you for fading.

#25 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostSeano, on 07 July 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

Oh... also a guy introduced himself to me during the race who was going for, wait for it..
his...
200th...
sub 4 hour marathon today.

He said to have a look at my marathon club in the coming days.

That could only be Destination_43.

#26 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

Wasnt competing but still had a great day.

Got down to our team race tent in time to greet the marathon crew and walk with them to the start line. Mood was optimistic with conditions looking good. It was cool but cloudy, potential for a bit of rain but didnt look like it was going to turn into an oven like it has in previous years. We had a few going for BQs and PBs and some aiming for specific times to suit their particular training goals.

After waving them off into the start pens I strolled back to the team tent, stopping briefly to applaud the race leaders in the half marathon as they flew through the finish chute. Then the rain came down all of a sudden and I started to get a little wet. Nothing too serious and I was soon under cover back at the team tent with some other partners and supporters of the team. Focus shifted to trying to get our laptop and big TV to show everyone's splits, but the website was a little awkward to use in this regard so it wasnt as useful as we'd like which is a bit of a shame. After a while we realise the rain was pooling in huge folds in the tent roof and urgent action was required to avoid bags, TV and everyone getting a complete drenching. As the tallest present it fell to me to gently push the roof around to push the water off the side whereupon it cascaded to the ground splashing anyone nearby. I carefully timed most roof pushes to avoid soaking half marathoners but screwed one push up and ended up pouring a couple of bucket loads of water directly over my own head much to everyones amusement. Fortunately is wasnt that cold and there were no last ill effects of the drenching.

When our half marathon runners came by we all gave them a good cheer. Their times were good, a few PBs and some really solid running so we took this as an omen that the marathon crew might actually have a good day out on the course.

After the marathon crew had got to between 10-15km we'd finally worked out a decent way to get visibility of their splits for each 5km and it was comforting to see that they were all on track for their various goals. Nobody had gone out at a stupidly quick pace, nobody was struggling yet. We focused on the important task of firing up the BBQ and settling in for sausage sandwich breakfasts!

With breakfast attended to, it wasnt long at all before the first of our crew had got beyond the 25km marker and we needed to think about the support prep. We had crew at the 32km point armed with 'care packages' of gels, snakes, salt tablets, cramp-stop, revie caffeine strips etc etc None of our athletes were going to feel ill-equipped when they past us! Everyone was still tracking well against their goals times so we organised a crew to get the correct side of the road whilst I ran further up the course for some later support as had been agreed.

At the 34km mark the course on GC can be lonely. The conversation amongst runners has dried up, a lot of the jovial optimism is fading and typically the support on the roadside has thinned too. This was where I was positioned armed with some water and ready to give people a boost. Whilst waiting for our crew I gave a few people a shout out of support and pointed out that at this point there's 3km until the final turn where your psychology as runner really picks up again.

When our first runner eventually came by I was little surprised - she was later than expected and was not looking good. It had gotten quite hot fairly quickly now the sun was out and a few people were struggling. There was an emotional outburst of negativity as she jogged alongside me telling about her cramping calves. After about 500m she pulled over to the side and said she had to stop clutching the muscle just around her knees. I spent about 30 seconds gently massaging one side while she did the other and eventually she carried on, still mumbling fairly negatively - but saying the massage had definitely helped. Another runner of ours caught up and passed her - he was looking strong and new that a PB was in his sights. A few more sips of water and I wished them both well and turned around to return back and pick up the next crew member.

Next were a couple of the guys who had resorted to a run/walk strategy. Both were struggling with heat, but once again as I ran alongside them handing out water their spirits seemed to lift a little - they weren't out for any aggressive targets any more so they were content just to do what was necessary to duke it out to the finish.

The next runner of ours to come by was looking real strong, but conversation was clearly not an option. She was digging in hard and just wanted some mental relief and a bit of shielding form the wind that was starting to get a little gusty. Once again the water bottle got a decent workout - but I waved her on shortly after the 35km marker promising to pick her back up on the return.

I switched to the return path of the course (just north of the 39km marker) and waiting for the first of our runners to come by again. Only this time the guy was welll ahead of our cramp victim. I ran alongside him for a while and he was still strong - no more support needed for him!

At this point my day took an unscheduled turn: a runner a 100 metres or so ahead of us waivered and collapsed to the ground with athletes around him coming to his aid. He had cramping legs and was in some discomfort. I took over from one runner administering some stretches and waived anyone with number on to continue their race whilst I and another supporter attended and focused on stretching the poor guys legs out. His calves were like rocks and rippling horribly with cramp. with him flat on the ground and legs in the air he managed to indicate that we were providing some significant relief - but the waves of cramp kept coming for him. After a few minutes a pair of ambulance riders on bikes came along and indicated that they couldnt do anything much more than we were already doing. We had a good long chat as the stretching and massaging continued. They offered to get the guy a support vehicle if he wanted to quit but despite broken English, we managed to agree a plan of him resting for a while (perhaps 45-60 minutes) and then trying to hobble the final 3km to get a finish time. It seemed a real shame for him to come all the way to Australia (from Japan I think?) and not get a finish unless there was real harm in doing so. Eventually we got him to his feet - offered to walk him slowly to the finish, but agreed that sitting down by the roadside for a bit would do no harm whatsoever. He finished off the last of my water bottle and was starting to look a lot more healthy.

Whilst this was going on a few of our crew had run past again with cheery support from both me to them for running and from them to me for the first aid actions on a complete stranger. Eventually our non-conversational runner  (M) approached and I bid our asian friend good luck as he was in good hands now and looking like he would recover sufficient to walk it in. I picked up the run again to be a wind block and see if I could do what I could in M's attempt for a good time. Again her conversation was little more than grunts and groans, but it was clear enough that she was happy to have whatever kind of support this was I was providing. We powered on past the 39km marker and started to pass increasing numbers of runners who were grinding it out in the tough final km's.

When we got to the team tents I waived M on - and jumped back over the fence. My job was done.

In the end M had missed a PB by 50 seconds, Our first female cramping athlete recovered after the 37km turn and managed to get home for a BQ, our first male sliced a couple of minutes off his PB and now has ambitions of shaving a further 10 minutes off for his BQ, the two guys run/walking had a tough day, but both came in under 4 hours. Our 2 70+ athletes both achieved BQ's (one by just 64 seconds - but he's absolutely stoked) and we had a debutant come in in 5:09 and sink a bottle of champagne shortly thereafter.

Feedback from all was that our team support across the course was top notch and the little bits of a lift that runners got from the sidelines definitely made a difference.

It was a fantastic day. I thoroughly enjoyed the small part I played and would recommend it to anyone who isnt quite up to race fitness but still wants to be involved: Find your people and see what you can do to help them!

...oh and over the morning I managed to run around 8km backwards and forwards - so my longest running day in months! I feel all fired up and hungry to run again!!!!!

#27 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

Another good race report DadAgain.  Despite not being a participant it sounds like you did a lot to help out your club and a random stranger.  I was deep in the hurt locker at 39k - I did see some people rush to the aid of someone needing some stretching assistance... It may have been you coming to his aid.  If it was sorry I didn't say hi.

#28 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 08 July 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

....I was deep in the hurt locker at 39k - I did see some people rush to the aid of someone needing some stretching assistance... It may have been you coming to his aid.  

Unless you came back for a second lap after finishing it wouldnt have been me. We were much later (he was probably on for about 3:30 before the guy I attended to dropped)

#29 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

No second lap for me DadAgain.  One was enough.  That must be a popular place for cramping.  Last year i saw someone with ITB problems in roughly the same place.