• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 jmnewman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

Gday. I'm going to run the Sydney marathon as training for my first 50k in October. What pace would you run at to recover reasonably quickly to keep training?

I can currently run 5k in 20, half in 95, and I average 35k/week (but that's ramped up now until October), and I jog a half marathon most weekends.

I'm hoping someone will give me a sensible pace to follow, as I know that without a plan I'll go too fast and shoot myself in the foot =D

Thanks!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bobbys

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

That's a pretty quick pace for 5k. I'm no way as quick as - I did the Royal National Park Marathon in May in a tick over 4 hours. I was running 18km with no pain or fatigue 2 days later. Have you done a marathon before? Given you can do a half in 95minutes, I suspect running at 5min pace for the marathon should be comfortable enough.

#3 jmnewman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Bobbys!

I tried one marathon a couple of years ago when I'd been running for six months but didn't have enough of a base to get a good time.

#4 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

I think first you should consider what is your pace for a training run marathon and what you want to get out of the marathon for the later race. Then we could suggest a recovery schedule. But generally that would be short and slow pace for a week or so then build each back up until yo are back at you pre-marathon training distances and intensities.

#5 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

3hr 45min - 4hr is my guess.
Road marathon will knock you back a bit.

#6 Sub17ParkRun

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Your recent HM time of 1:35, double it and add 20 mins. 3:30 marathon is doable and attainable.
You want to do your long runs and easy runs at 6 min/km pace that is 1 minute slower than your target marathon pace of 5 min/km.
Your 5km tempo run is 4min/km. Your HM pace was 4m30secs/km.
Aim for your 3:30 marathon and stick to the 5 min/km pace.
3:40 to 4 hours finish times are decent times for your first marathon.
*4m58secs average pace over 5min/km is needed to achieve a sub 3:30 marathon.

#7 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:00 PM

Recovery time from 15 Sep 19 to what date in October for the 50km? Many of us are running again 3-7 days post marathons and some the next day. As pointed out your looking like a good shot at 3.30 or better for 42.  Many  marathoners and marathoners 1/2 take weeks off. As you already know a half is doable every week. ( Not at World Record Pace of course)

If you have four weeks post 15 sep I think go out at 4:45 to 5 min pace and have a few days off post the run. You may be very surprised how quickly you recover. Have fun