What Is The Best Intensity To Burn Fat?Carbs/fatsGlobal Triathlon Network - a fat max test

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:36 AM

I suspect we all naturally move to the pace our bodies work most effectively at .  A few parts of this video grabbed my attention
I knew when we breath we expel much of the energies we have consumed- The fat max test seems to explain this process + added my morning coffee might help which was very good news :)

carbs = jet fuel fat = diesel seemed a good way of putting it. That we have about a max of 2000 cal of carbs with 30-50000cal in fat stores of energy made me think a little adaptation that way might help me finish faster than I have.  

It also begs the question for each of us are gels and energy drinks during long runs helping with a little jet fuel while stopping the fat burning?

https://www.youtube....h?v=PW0Nv_FXsas

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bobbys

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

I often wonder about Gels. Years ago when I first ran a marathon, I had 5 gels. Since then, I've slowly reduced that to the point that I can do 36km training runs on no Gels and a Marathon with 1 gel (just in case). I'm a regular listener to Marathon Talk podcasts and they often query the usage of gels.

#3 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

It also begs the question for each of us are gels and energy drinks during long runs helping with a little jet fuel while stopping the fat burning?

My understanding is yes. You give the body some carbs in the circumstances you set out and it will use that fuel instead of fat. A gel will not make you run quicker than you fitness allows it just provides a ready source of energy to keep you moving. If you carbo load correctly you may need a gel at about 27k as it will take 5k to kick in and it should delay/prevent the need for the body to convert to fat.

I see runners taking them before 10k in a marathon and query if they understand the science behind running a marathon, carbo landing and the role of a gel. Too many will likely give you stomach issues before the marathon ends. At the most extreme they may all finish up on the footpath.

#4 Sub17ParkRun

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

If you run slow enough and consume the energy drinks and fruit along the way, you will not need to take a single gel during a marathon. I would select gummies or lollies ahead of energy gels.

#5 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

I have a couple of friends who use gels even running no more than about 15km, even on training 10km runs. They seem to be a triumph of marketing over science. I have plenty of fat to burn so I avoided them until I was running close to 30km at a time. Even then training run should be slow enough to get by on fat stores once the glycogen runs low. I like the idea of running carb depleted to force better fat burning too. I've only run one marathon and did use them for my long training runs but that was mainly because I didn't want to use them for the first time in a marathon and discover untoward gut effects.
Not relevant to this group but I've read people who admit to having 50kg to lose ask for food suggestions for energy :Confused: . Um 50kg equals 385000 calories. Is that not enough for you?
Not sure that fruit is a good source of fuel for a long run, Sub17parkrun. Energy gels are at least constituted to enable some absorption and utilisation during a long run with the likely decrease in gut blood supply that happens.