• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 craigodile

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

They had a nice feature on the City2Surf page (now seems to have gone) that allowed you to compare all your previous times on one page. I seem to recall noticing that the distance changed, by approximately 100m. I think this happened when the finish changed to the current zig-zag (2016 I think).

Iíve only been running it since 2014, so had no older ones to compare to, but do recall having an argument with a mate as my PB is better than his, but the argument is that I did mine on the shorter course (although I was two minutes quicker than him which would have been quite an implosion if I lost that over 100 metres).

I think itís or particular interest this year as Harry Summers ďarguablyĒ broke the course record (gun vs chip), but is the current course shorter than Steve Moneghettiís?

I canít see this commented on anywhere online, hence the question. Cheers!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bipro

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:19 AM

Hi....long time lurker here.

Course distance is officially 13,907m. Now, it was previously considered to be 14k, but, when they reconfigured it with the "zig-zag" the measured the original course and found it to be... wait for it... 13,907m. They took an official measurement to ensure that after the course realignment that everything was kept exactly the same and records remain valid and consistent.

Prior to that the course changed back in the early 70s from 15.1-ish down to the 13.1k it is now. The course back then started up on George St in front of Town Hall. By my guesstimate, that's about 5-600m, so I'm not entirely sure where the extra km came from.

#3 allrounder

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

View Postbipro, on 13 August 2019 - 12:19 AM, said:

...down to the 13.1k it is now

I think this is a typo - it's 13.9k...

there was an article in R4YL (last year or the year before) about the course distance changes...it's been 13.9k since I've been doing it (my first one was 2003)...

the start line has moved three times (1975, 1976, current 1977) from the original in 1971...

as far as I'm aware the finish k has only changed the once in 2016 and that was due to traffic etc considerations...

Edited by allrounder, 13 August 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#4 bipro

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

View Postallrounder, on 13 August 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

View Postbipro, on 13 August 2019 - 12:19 AM, said:

...down to the 13.1k it is now

I think this is a typo - it's 13.9k...

there was an article in R4YL (last year or the year before) about the course distance changes...it's been 13.9k since I've been doing it (my first one was 2003)...

the start line has moved three times (1975, 1976, current 1977) from the original in 1971...

as far as I'm aware the finish k has only changed the once in 2016 and that was due to traffic etc considerations...

Indeed it was a typo. Supposed to read "13.91k" not "13.1". Thanks for the catch.

Interesting re start line changes. I knew they'd made changes but wasn't sure when. Looks like I'm about to fall down an "internet research" rabbit hole soon :).

In any case, basically craigodile, your mate's PB and yours would be on the same length course.

#5 speedmeup

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

Depends on how effective you are at "weaving' through the pack. I reckon some years I ran about an extra K at least !! Lol.

Those up the pointy end probably run 13.9 k but not many others do … an extra 100m at least I reckon : ) so feel free to call it "14"