5 replies to this topic

#1 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:57 AM

I know quite a few runners here have had fluctuating weight so hopefully people will have some experience. I am now about 20kg less than when I started running. I had my gait assessed way back and had Brooks Beasts/ Ariels recommended and have stuck with them. Every so often I have tried different shoes on in the shop but not actually run in them and I did not like the feel as much as the Ariels. Last time I went in the guy asked why I was wearing them with such high arches and recommended Dyads. I was looking for a walking shoes at the time so I didn't get them.

I have been injury free for ages but I was assuming that related to doing regular weight training and yoga to balance the running.

Anyway I am wondering if people have found their degree of pronation has changed with time, weight loss or any other factors. Does anyone regularly have their gate reassessed?

Liz

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bobbys

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

Interesting thoughts. I would have thought that there might be a change but have also not had my gait re-assessed. I have noticed that when I stick to the shoes originally recommended (Brooks Adrenalines) I have no issues or niggles. Recently I wanted to try some Adidas Adios 4s for faster road races to see what they were like and as a neutral shoe, I noticed the difference. Achilles pain, High Hamstring etc. I'm about 8kgs lighter at the moment than when first assessed.

#3 omy005

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:52 AM

I don't think foot physiology could change (if at all?) at the same rate that weight can? I've had similar weight fluctuations with no noticeable "arch" differences. I'm also curious how you had your "gait assessed"?

Andrew.

#4 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:49 AM

Gait assessment was by having a physio, not a podiatrist, watch me run on a treadmill. It was a few years ago and I think she only watched me run in shoes, not bare foot. I was having hamstring hassles at the time and ended up working on glute strength and avoiding lots of hills so it does not bother me any more. She did notice the way I turn my toes out varies between my feet so I worked on that. Not sure if it made a difference. I've had the usual Athlete's Foot stand on the plate type thing which is how I ended up in the Beasts/ Ariels. I know that is dodgy but I stuck with them as they were comfy. For all I know they probably just look at me and say "heavy runner = beasts" :Tounge:

I mix my shoes around a bit so I might add in some neutral shoes and see how they feel.
Liz

#5 Stej

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

I have two different thoughts on this:
1 - if you are running well and injury free in your current model of shoe then why risk a change
2 - it may be worth trying something new to see if it is even better than your current shoe

Personally I'd try something new cautiously and pay more attention to how I feel I run in them and whether I experience any injuries than any shoe brand marketing or advice from shoe retailers.

#6 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

Sensible thoughts Stej. I have had a bit of pain down the lateral edge of both feet but I figured it was arthritic. Gonna throw a pair of neutral shoes into the mix next time I need to retire a pair and see what happens.