6 replies to this topic

#1 Road Runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:19 PM

I recently bought some collagen (Hydrolysed Collagen Peptides) from Bulk Nutrients.  Even though BN is an Australian company, they source this product from Brazil.  A friend told me that a lot of cattle in Brazil are raised in confined feed-lots (and fed grain), and advised me to pay more for a better quality product that is more ethically produced.  Any suggestions?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 SkyChariot

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:00 PM

^^^Why do you want this stuff??? Unless there is some medical reason you need to take this????? then i think it would be best for you to just spend the money on good food.

#3 Road Runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:55 AM

I've read a lot about the benefits of collagen this year.  As is the case with a lot of nutrients, most people aren't getting enough in a "normal" diet.  At the age of 61, I've had a couple of injuries this year that have stopped me running (Achilles, sacrum).  Collagen naturally declines with age, so I feel the need to supplement my diet with it.  Mark Sisson (and others) are fans of it.  I don't want to get into a debate on vegan/vegetarian/paleo, but I only eat fish and chicken sparingly, and I certainly don't eat offal or engage in "nose to tail" eating :)

#4 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

You know your body, and if you feel its the right thing to try for you, then thats up to you. Its just my opinion that all these vitamin and mineral supplements that are always being flogged are usually just a waste of money. Our ancestors worked much harder than we did, without all this type of stuff, and they never had half the problems that we have in this day and age. They also had less processed food than we do, which i think says a lot.

#5 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:40 AM

Your gut treats collagen supplements just like any other protein. It breaks them down into amino acids then absorbs them. Aside from the fact that the amino acid breakdown will obviously be what you need to make collagen I can see no other advantage of having these supps. Those amino acids are available in many other cheaper, more palatable forms. Increase your lean protein intake and you should achieve the same thing.

#6 Road Runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

I'm certainly guilty of eating processed food, though I like to think that my current diet is better than it was 10 years ago!

#7 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

^^Good post Claudicles, i ran out of likes for the day before i read it, so i owe you one. Road Runner, mine is much better than it was ten years ago too, and i know that it has helped me to make that effort. Good on you!!