44 replies to this topic

#1 sloth

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:22 AM

Hi everyone
I've been struggling with pf for a few months now due to a stint in some orthotics that were too hard for my feet.   :angry:  
The pain is almost gone now, but comes back again if I do any kind of weight-bearing exercise (including the cross trainer at the gym and walking anything other than short distances).
My pod said I could try a cortisone injection if the pf was lingering, but... well.. alright, I'm a coward! I've heard that cortisone injections are really painful, but if it will fix the problem straight away, I might be prepared to go through with it   :unsure:   Help! Any thoughts?

#2 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:52 AM

sloth, I've never had an injection in my plantar fascia but I've helped with plenty and with plenty into other areas. I'll warn you now that this one hurts the most. People say it helps. I'm not a fan. There are much better solutions.

#3 bob russell

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:01 AM

quote:

Originally posted by sloth:
Hi everyone
I've been struggling with pf for a few months now due to a stint in some orthotics that were too hard for my feet.   :angry:  
The pain is almost gone now, but comes back again if I do any kind of weight-bearing exercise (including the cross trainer at the gym and walking anything other than short distances).
My pod said I could try a cortisone injection if the pf was lingering, but... well.. alright, I'm a coward! I've heard that cortisone injections are really painful, but if it will fix the problem straight away, I might be prepared to go through with it   :unsure:   Help! Any thoughts?

#4 bob russell

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:09 AM

Hey Sloth!
         Just some food for thought I had PF awhile back got a cortisone shot(hurt like hell). Pain went away for about 2 weeks and returned. Switched doctors , moved on to a sports doctor.We talked for about 5 minutes and he wrote out a prescrption for DAYPRO.I was back running in three days pain never returned.
                                Good luck!
                                           Bob

#5 Digger

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:20 PM

Sloth,

Go to a recognised Sports Doctor, and in MLB, find one who works with an AFL team and Runners and get his/her opinion.
The injection will do the trick, if the injury requires an injection.
I've had the injection(Twice), but working with a Physio, Masseuse and Sports Doctor, we took 5 months to decide it to have it, and it was the last option.

#6 Wobbly Bits

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:37 PM

My pf seemed to go on and on.  Dr was threatening cortisone.  Someone recommended soaking your foot in ice and water after activity and each night before going to bed. Plus running some tape from the ball of your foot to your heel (essentially an arch sling).

I was too cowardly to have the needle as I have seen how much they hurt.  The ice hurts some, but I don't think as much as the needle. I used to soak my foot under my desk after my lunch time trot.

PF went completely in about 3 weeks.  Not quite as miraculous as DAYPRO but worth considering.

cheers

WB

#7 green machine (R.I.P.)

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:43 PM

Doing a 10k race about 15 years ago and at about 8 k started getting pain but continued and finished, pain increasing all the time. It was a long, very very painful walk back to the car. Definitely should have stopped when pain started as it went months without much improvement. Finally had the cortisone, Doc obviously got the right pain spot (which has to be found for cortisone to be effective). Injection was not painful at all as Doc used local anaesthetic with the cortisone. No problems since then!! I believe you shouldn't have too many injections though.   :)    :D

#8 ray

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

Sloth - do you have a heel spur associated with your PF ??

#9 Nugett

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:03 AM

Dont take the injection.
I have suffered from PF in both feet on seperate occassions. Rest, ice and stretch. The problem can take up to 12 months to heal. I have found the most enjoyable therapy is using a golf ball, rub your foot over the ball when you are resting of an evening or at your work station it seems to work quickly and the rewards are instant and euphoric.
You will have bad dreams about PF, thinking that it may be with you for ever. Dont worry it wont be. Take care and rember that running is natural, so should your treatment be.
Cheers
Anthony

#10 sloth

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:25 AM

Thanks so much for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!
I guess comparatively I haven't had the pf for that long (12 months? Really?!! OMG!!  :)  ) so I'll try some of the other suggestions first. What's daypro?

#11 sloth

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:26 AM

oh -- and no, as far as I know there's no heel spur (thank goodness)

#12 ray

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:00 PM

I agree entirely with Nuggett.  Stretching, particularly the gastrocnenius , soleus and achilles tendons were the answer for me.  These leg stretches in turn relieve he strain on the foot  arch.  Massage also helps.

#13 Nugett

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:39 PM

Heal spur seems to be the common name for PF. I forgot to mention, fill and freeze a glass Coke bottle with water and try that after any excercise. Good luck

#14 dargo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:39 PM

sloth,l like heaps of others,suffer from pf and like everyone have tired heaps to stop the morning pains.l am trying a new treatment at the moment,which is called dolorcast radial shockwave therapy,which is ahand held applicator that sends shockwaves into the underside of the heel.you have three treatments<$90.00 each>for ten mins over 15 days to break up the build up of calcium on the pf at the moment its heaps better and the pain is going.the olympic park medicine centre in swan st richond do it,worth talking to them to see if they can help you.

#15 clairie

Boisterous Brissy Broad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:12 PM

So Sloth how is the PF going?

#16 Mars

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:29 PM

I had this injury as a kid (15 yrs) and I eventually had the cortisone shot after 6 months of it not healing.

It fixed the problem almost overnight.

#17 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:46 PM

I've heard good things about cortisone but for other things it's been used for, such as deep muscle release, saline or accupuncture can work just as well.  I'd be hesitant. I had some problems a while back and Paul Fien (my physio) got me knuckling my arches and massaging everything from my knees down. Obviously my case wasn't as serious as yours (we caught it early) but I'd seek advice from another podiatrist or a sports physio before you make the call.

#18 Cato

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:24 PM

SLOTH
if after proper diagnosis by a medical proffessional a cortisone injection is required, then I would have it done.
Over the years I have had several cortisone injections in my back and shoulder.
Yes they have been painfull, but I think the pain is worth the gain.
Remember cortisone is a naturally produced steroid in the human body and it will mainly help pain and inflamation go away.
It also has a mild effect on breaking down calcium deposits on bone which may be a help for your problem.
Good luck I hope everthing works out OK.

CATO

#19 celtic runr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:49 AM

Sloth,

After many years of running I have it too! I thought I have had everything but not so. I have been persisting with a chemist shop orthotic and taping my feet when I run a marathon (3 since I got it). But as you may guess my times are 30 mins slower than last year as it restricts my running style. I reckon it was caused by adding 3kg weight in the last year and putting stress on my foot.  I think the lower leg muscle stretches do work but I not happy to hear that it takes a long time for it to go away.  I have not had any cortisone injection but I am persisting with ibuprofen and trying to get rid of the 3kg. Let us know how you are going.

#20 sloth

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:17 PM

Hey guys

Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement --- but I'm still too chicken to have the needle!

Clairie, I think (fingers crossed!) that it's finally just about cleared up. I've been taping and icing religiously, and have started running again S--L--O--W--L--Y over the last few weeks.
It's bizarre, I haven't had morning pain for a while now (yay!), but these days my foot will just randomly start to ache at some stage after a run. Anyway, back to the pod next week, she'll hopefully say everything's ok again.

And then I guess I'll be back to dealing with the shin splints I was given orthotics for (these being the orthotics that caused the pf in the first place)... sometimes I get the feeling my body is trying to tell me something!   ;)  

cheers
sloth

#21 Podsport

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:07 PM

I am somewhat concerned about your orthotics causing plantar fasciitis!!! This should not have happened!

Also, to dispell a very common myth. Heel spurs do not, in 99% of the cases cause plantar fasciitis. This condition is related to a mechanical overload of the foot that results in an inflammation at the attachment of the fascia. The boney spur which 40-60% of the population have, is not significant.

The mechanical overload can come from, tight muscles, poor running gait, incorrect shoes and trauma.

As a treatment, orthotics are intended to correct the mechanical overload, IF a structural anomaly exists. Stetching directed toward the tightness and gait anomaly. The ICE and cortisone are purely anti-inflammatory treatments. They do NOT sddress the underlying cause of the problem. This is why so many people have returinng pain. They have treated the symptoms, and not the cause.

No one should have plantar faciitis for 12 months. Plan and simple.

Hope this helps a bit.

#22 Shoegal_74

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:28 PM

:unsure:  When should I start running again???  :unsure:  

There's been heaps of threads on PF injuries but I can't find where someone has given advice on when it's okay to start running again.

I've been struggling with PF in my right foot for the last four weeks.  I was resting, stretching, icing and massaging for the first two-three weeks.  Then I wasn't feeling any pain so I went for a run and it came back with a vengeance.  I've just started taking Naprosyn three days ago and other than some initial tightness in the morning my foot is feeling fine during the day.  I don't know whether to keep resting or to get back into it.  Any advice??

#23 Wobbly Bits

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

I'm no expert, except that I have had PF.

I found that once I started taping my foot as well as all the other stuff (ice, stretching, massage, nurofen gel) things really started to turn around. The tape seemed to take the pressure off the tendon to let it get better.

One caveat is that I am a slow plodder, and this might not apply if you are a go fast greyhound.

cheers

WB

#24 Shoegal_74

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

Thanks WB.  I place myself firmly in the 'labrador' category - probably not really meant for racing but I like it, I'm reasonable at it and I get to eat lots of treats when I'm finished   :D    

I'm thinking I should start my own thread on this topic - never done it before so I'll see how I go.

#25 Sunni

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

Had PF last year. Replaced worn out runners first. Tried lots of things but in the end got rid of the pain after a week of taping, 2 weeks of no running. The morning foot pain finally went after I spent time doing foot rotations, stretching all the ligaments and tendons around the heel and wearing shoes all of the time.

When I came back to running I cut right back. Alternate days only and much shorter runs for about 4mths.

Good luck.   ;)

#26 Wobbly Bits

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:58 PM

Shoegal,

That's me.  A more "mature" labrador, except I'm not good at racing, I just love the challenge of doing it.

Just because we do it slower, doesn't mean we do it easier.

Hope the PF clears up soon

WB

#27 RunningOnEmpty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:04 PM

I had PF last year and the following website was a good summary of treatment options http://heelspurs.com/index.html

But the product that ended my morning foot pain almost immediately is  http://www.thesock.com/
I cannot recommend it more highly.

#28 SportyChick

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:03 PM

Sloth
I feel for you trying to deal with PF, but I must say, I think RunningOnEmpty is right on the mark in regards to 'The Sock'. It has help more of my clients with PF than anything else. After you have a look at the website feel free to give me a call at the clinic (which is only a few km's from you) and we can fit one for you. No matter where you get it from, try The Sock before anything else. My clinic number is 9570 8538 (in East Bentleigh).
Good Luck!

#29 Lapino-Torsion

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

There is some research about that concludes that cortisone injections can preciptate plantar fascial tears and ruptures. The suggestion about taping seems to produce good results as does stretching of hamstrings, calf muscles and the plantar surface of the foot. Plantar fascial problems are more prevelent in 40 something people. Persistence in stretching does help a lot.Anyways the condition will resolve but the question is how soon? It must be very frustrating for dedicated runners.

#30 celtic runr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

After six months of icing, getting a cheap orthotic, stretching the calvf muscles and using tape in the early stages, its nearly gone in my foot. So I can agree its hard to get rid of but persistance in treatment without cortisone can do it. I have been running nearly everyday for most of the time, however at a slower speed and less total distance than before.  Finally my speed is coming back now.

#31 Rudolf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

Cortisone injection is not the same, like the naturaly produced cortizon directed to the required spot. The cortizone is very like to contain lots of other rubish in it, and the severe reactions are quite common, however not made public. I would personaly rather stop running forever then have the cortisol injection.
The doctor recomending the cortisol treatment is basicaly saying : - look I have no blody idea what it is and what to do, but this injection is quite popular misstreatment, so lets have a go with Your body and see what hapens. The first time the doctor mention the cortisol, grab Your madicare card and run. Find somebody who realy knows and realy cares.

#32 Vlastik

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:32 PM

I had PF too and tried every recommended trick I found on the website, got ortotics from a podiatrist, went to physio but nothing worked as this problem always goes on for months. I still kept running in spite of pain because of committment to run on "Spirit" from Tassie to Melbourne and back (20 hrs)for a charity. After few hours of running on the treadmill the pain started to disappear and was completely gone by the end of the run. Unfortunately about three weeks later it was back! (I had a job standing in one spot on concrete all day). Six Day Colac was only two months away so I had to keep running, pain or no pain.
When I started running at Colac I was wondering whether it will disappear again. For first few hours it was getting worse but after about 6 hours it was getting better and eventually disapeared completely. After the finish I was wondering if it comes back again but this time it did not. So this is how I treat PF though I am not suggesting that I am now an expert on PF and that it will work for everyone. But it worked twice for me.

#33 Cato

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Sloth
It's been a couple of months now.
How is the PF progessing? Have you plucked up the courage and had the needle or has the problem settled down by itself??

CATO

#34 Mars

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

Yeah I had it once and it worked great for me.

The Muscle.

#35 Bristow

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

Dont do it ! I last completed a full season in 1997 ! Had 4 injections into my foot and paying for it big time...

#36 Jilly25

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:30 AM

Just wondering what bad things does the shot do to you? I had pain in my foot and calf for 3 months now. I had pain and swelling in my knee and was getting treated for runners knee. One week ago I went to the podiatrist and was diagnosed with pf. Iam now trying to treat this so I can run again. I haven't run in almost 3 months and I am going crazy!
I think my tight calves were the start of all the problems. My doctor did mention the shot if all else failed . I am doing physucal therepy and I orded the night splint. Any advise ? Shot or no shot? and when to begin running again? Also if you run through it will it still get better eventually ? how long? I am so upset   :unsure:

#37 Lapino-Torsion

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

Ive had good results with the night splint and if you are getting good biomechanical advice plus physio it should help big time. The injections only treat the symptoms ie inflammation and pain rather than the cause. So you are doing the best by your body in addressing the causes. My personal experience of pf was that it was only slightly less painful than giving birth!!  :)  With appropriate treatment it reduced to a level that I could function with. I found it better to keep moving but stretch the pf during the day whenever you think of it. PS I found ice totally useless in this instance.

#38 Jilly25

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:32 AM

Thankyou for you advise. I don't think my pain is quite as bad as you had, however I do get really uncomfortable pain in my calves ( I don't know if that is part of the pf?) My bigest problem is I have hardley enough flexabilty to walk forward, because my ankle is very tight. Are you still dealing with the problem? How long did it take to recover?

#39 Rudolf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:53 PM

How about to forget running for few months.

Go to the pool and do leg kicks with the board.
Keep changing the free style leg kick with the breastroke leg kick.
It will really show You were all Your weeknesses are in Your feet and legs and abs and lower back.

Work on it, it will give You strenght and flexibility in ankles too.

After building it up, start also using flipers -
fins for few minutes, this will give another dimension.

If Your legs and feet are not ready for it = week
links anywhere, You will struggle with this training and will develop cramps in the pool and perhaps during the night.

Look into minerals in Your diet and supplements and work on it and give it a time.

At the end You will come out of the pool with different legs, feet, abs and bum, and You will be ready for running, You will also realize, with the new feet etc, You are running differently with new biomechanics.

Good luck.

I wear wetsuit vest for the upper body, since it is not working, I want to keep lungs and kidney
warm.

I do kicks for about 40 min (30-45), have a 10 min break and do deep water run for another 45min

Do not count laps, simply go on time, at the beginning You would hardly move forward on the free leg kicks.

#40 sloth

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:42 AM

hi everyone

i've been building up gradually and i think i'm ok -- i still don't have morning pain, which is great, but i do sometimes start to get pain towards the end of a run. It goes away after a few hours, so i'm persisting... i figure i'll head back to the pod if the morning pain comes back, or it gets worse.

glad to hear yours is getting better, celtic!

jilly25, i found stretching, icing at least once every day and taping were the best things for me, along with calf raises for strength. I reached the point where I just wore tape all the time, coz i kept getting pain just from standing or walking around for too long. It seemed to take ages, but things have eventually improved. Hang in there!

Bristow -- what happened with your cortisone injections?

#41 cher

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 03:19 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Podsport:
(clipped most of post)

No one should have plantar faciitis for 12 months. Plan and simple.

This statement almost made me laugh!

I wish I had not had PF for over 12 months. I'm not a runner have never been a runner I have had PF for at least 16 months or more, not sure when it actually started because I had never heard of it and the GP told me I had a bruised heel.

I have tried everything (except the sock but I paid a fortune for a useless night splint so don't want to spend over $100 on the sock that is no guarantee)

I'm still out there looking for the miraculous cure or waiting for the day that I wake up and its gone (someone says that will happen!)

Re the cortisone - my sports doctor told me straight out that she doesn't know why it works for some and not for others. I had two, the first one lasted a week the second one only for 24hours (that would be the anaesthetic)

So Podsport if you can help me I would appreciate it because I'm starting to get a little pain in my other foot too, and the biggest pain is that its completely taken over my life!!

#42 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

Cher, have a look  here. You can also make a very cheap version of the "Sock" splinting device if you can do some rudimentary sewing. Just have a look at the add and copy what you see. Either use an old knee high sock or buy some tubular bandage and sew over one end of it and attach a strip of something suitable to the top and toe. (Just don't make a tight loop around the top of your calf. ) A work colleague did this and was thoroughly satisfied.

#43 Lapino-Torsion

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

My pf lasted at the very painful level for about 10 weeks...until I got into enough shape for running on the soccer field. I also wore custom orthoses which helped by controlling the abnormal motion of the foot and therefore reduced the stretch of the pf. Taping, correctly applied, also reduces the stretch. The calf muscles are directly associated with the pf by joining into the heel bone (in infants it is continuous). As we get older the soft tissue stiffens so pf is more likely to be associated with people around 40 years. I know it sound a bit of ambiguous but you need to reduce the stretch of the pf while you exercise but stretch frequently while doing rehab. My general experience is that a 3month period is acceptable to reduce the pain to a tolerable level any more rethink your treatment. Prevention is better than cure so make sure you stretch a lot especially if you are very under 20 or 40ish.

#44 cher

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:55 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Whippet Man:
Cher, have a look  here. You can also make a very cheap version of the "Sock" splinting device if you can do some rudimentary sewing. Just have a look at the add and copy what you see. Either use an old knee high sock or buy some tubular bandage and sew over one end of it and attach a strip of something suitable to the top and toe. (Just don't make a tight loop around the top of your calf. ) A work colleague did this and was thoroughly satisfied.

Thanks for that link - that was one I had not seen. It was a bit different to all the other hundreds of things I have read.
I wish I had've thought of the tubular bandage to make a homemade 'sock' I did try with a long sock and some sewing but having trouble getting the band at the top right. I'll probably give in and buy a proper one its about the only thing I haven't tried (apart from shockwave and surgery)

#45 BrisbanePodiatrist

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

Hi Sloth.  I had much the same problem with my hard f*^%%ng orthotics - don't get me started!  I went to a pod in brisbane called stephanie and she took my existing orth and made a copy in a softer material.  My God!  it was instant heaven!  I picked it up in an hour and the whole thing cost me under 200 bucks.  Those other monstrosities cost me over 3 x that much. I was back running in 10 days. Anyway, I can suggest that you go and see my favourite bris pod if you are in Brisvegas at http://www.walkwithoutpain.com.au.  If not, I'm pretty sure you can find other pods who can make Copythotics at http://copythotic.com.au  Catch you on the road.

View Postsloth, on Sep 23 2005, 03:22 AM, said:

Hi everyone
I've been struggling with pf for a few months now due to a stint in some orthotics that were too hard for my feet.   ;)  
My pod said I could try a cortisone injection if the pf was lingering, but... well.. alright, I'm a coward! I've heard that cortisone injections are really painful, but if it will fix the problem straight away, I might be prepared to go through with it   :rolleyes:   Help! Any thoughts?