Why does my ankle click?

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 maxpower

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

My left ankle has always clicked with pretty much every step  I take with that foot. The click is loud enough for people around me to notice.
I recently went on a trail run and have pulled up with my left ankle being rather sore.
Does anyone have any idea why my ankle might click? And could the soreness be related?
Thanks in advance.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 lonecruiser

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

I've got a similar thing with both my ankles clicking and running partners often comment on it. I always feel it is more pronounced when running a constant slower pace e.g. LSD; varying pace and pushing off from my toes quitens it most times. Never had any real trouble with my ankles but do still wonder if arthritis is going to be a problem later.

Found these on google here and here .

Cheers

#3 Steve 'The Footman'

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:59 PM

Clicking joints in themselves are not a sign of a problem.  The cause is usually two prominences on two bones sliding across each other and clicking into place.  There is no evidence that this will lead to joint degeneration unlike crepitis or grinding sounds.

However clicking combined with pain is a problem.  This could be a sign of joint laxity where the ligaments can not keep the joint together.  There is a simple clinical test of anterior-posterior glide that will show up any laxity.  An inversion stress x-ray may also be helpful.  If this exists then endurance activity could lead to osteo-arthritis.

My suggestion is you get it checked out by a podiatrist.  For short term relief try oral anti-inflamatories and immersion icing.  Glucosamine and Chondrotin Sulfate would not hurt either.  You really need to do more then treating the current pain - so get it checked out.

#4 tank girl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

You're very lucky to get a reply from Steve so soon after posting (he's the expert).

I had clicky ankles since I was a kid, and have had no adverse affects from it. The only time they didn't click was when I got thrown 100 times in a row at Judo practise, and landed in the same spot on my ankle and calf 100 times in a row, and my entire ankle and calf swelled up with lots of fluid. It stayed non-clicky for a few months after that.

I wouldn't recommend this as a treatment method  ;)

#5 runnergirl

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

i too had ankles that clicked every now and then, as i remember it was mostly when i was going slower. it caused no pain or adverse affects, and without noticing it went away and has never come back.  :)

#6 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

when they both click they are called castanets.

#7 JourneymanPhil

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

I get clicking on the left ankle. I think it's a legacy from when i injured it years ago and never got it treated properly. (think ive shared that story enough!)

#8 bethroid

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

I have a clicky ankle - but not when I run - only when I swim?!

#9 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

I can make my ankle, wrist , back & jaw click on command  :)  .None of theses have affected me. It is just a good party trick.

#10 spark driver

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:05 PM

A classic Aussie folk song comes to mind when I read this thread.

"Click goes the shears boys, click, click, click..."   :D

#11 cbdman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

My right ankle clicked for years, no pain just a curiosity for others. Clicking stopped after I ruptured my achilles tendon and had it stitched. Not recommended.

#12 Louise

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

It's just occurred to me that my right ankle doesn't click any more!

I wonder when/why that happened...

Perhaps I finally shocked it out of its noisy habit when I rolled it badly last year. Also not recommended.

My jaw still clicks though.    :rolleyes:

#13 ChrisD

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

Isn't it nice to find a bit of humour around here now & then.  My ankles are fine, but my jaw clicks when I chew.  It resulted from a kick in the jaw playing footbaall years back which resulted in a nick to whatever it is that glides in the jaw joint.  The nick causes it to grab, stretch than snap (or click) back into position.  It gets quite sore if I'm chewing hard too much - minties are out, steaks must be tender.

ie, it may not be bone related but could be something else and could be sourced from an old injury.

#14 TheShuffler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

hmmm, my right ankle is a clicker, and I was diagnosed with Juvenile Arthritis when I was 10.