• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 shuffle_run

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

Just recently I've started some speed work doing sprints.  Over my regular 5k track i tried sprinting as far and fast as I could then walked until my heartrate came down and then go again  and apart from sore quads the next day all seemed fine.  

Until a week later when I attempted the sprints again.  Shin pain - only on impact - so not quite like shin splints I guess and it doesn seem to affect me when I just jog - only with the sprints and worse downhill - of course the impact is harder.  So bad I had to walk down the hill...    

I've been icing my shins in the evening, but has anyone experienced this before?  Will I build tolerance, should I stop completely (for a while). Do I need more specific stretching?  currently I'm just doing the sprints once a week!  

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks - Vicki

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 triway

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

I have a similar problem myself at the moment. Just started doing some hills and some up tempo run throughs and acquired a soreness on the shin bone, but only on the lower 5", unusual compared to most shin soreness that I have known which has all been higher up the bone. More calf/achilles stretching and foot massage seems to be relieving the problem, as well as easing of the offending type of training a bit.(Which is pretty hard to do when I want to race tommorrow  :angry:  )
Stick with the ice and get your thumbs stuck into the sore bits!

#3 Rudolf

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

Vicki

who told You to do such a session ?
That person should give You the answer now.

You introduced suddenly to many new things into Your training :

-new type - sprints
- maximum intenzity - the fastest You can sprint
- as far as You can go
- number of repetitions

The discribed training was too much suddenly.

If You never done it recently, than You should have done 2-3 reps, of easy, like 70% sprint effort for about 60 metres.
Each week add 1 rep.
When You get to 10, next week cut back to 6 and extend the distance to 90-100 metres.

After few weeks start increasing the intenzity - 75, 80, 85, 90 % and stay at 90% of sprint speed

You have to build it up slowly like everything else.

At this stage, You should quit sprinting and downhills and let the bones recover.

Watch Your nutririon for minerals - all types of raw and steamed vegies, etc.

#4 shuffle_run

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm continuing to ice them and have cut back on the reps already and am now just walking down the hill. I'm booking in for a remedial massage so I'll make sure they get into my calves - I have notoriously tight calves!   Self massage is  something I just cant do - I tend wimp out :-)

Diet is something I still need to look into - I'm very slack in this regard :-(

#5 Rudolf

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

Deep and/or painfull masage is not always the answer, latelly the thinking here is changing.

I prefer other methods instead, like REIKI.

I do Reiki as well, feel free to email me.