164 replies to this topic

#1 plu

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:14 AM

Hi all,

The Poor Mans Comrades (PMC) run is on the 17 June and is less than a month away.  I could not find another thread on this so I have started a new one.  

I planned to start it in 2004 and had a work event on and last year I was injured.  

This year I plan to start it and see what happens.  I think  a few of us could have some fun starting this run and getting to the other side of Bobbin Head and catch a train home if we have to. This would be almost 40km.  Others could pull out at Turramurra and be under 30km.

I have  taken the liberty of modifying the website's spreadsheet  to take into account different paces and estimated section times along the course for those who are interested.  

The more the merrier.  Think about joining us at the start at 7:00am at the Opera House.

Who are the starters?

RunnersCheer Squad - Support
Plu

Horrie

Tim

TP  (TBC)

Kevin 50km

Mr G

Truckie

Spud

Eagle? (short)

Chub

Colin?

Aunty

Jen_Runs

To be confirmed (TBC)

Cheers  Plu

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:40 AM

As it was my major goal for 2006, I will definitely be at the Opera House steps at 7am. I will be treating this run as a day out with some mates and just plod along with Plu, 2p and Kev. Should be a lot of fun!

#3 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:55 AM

yep.  I am planning to go the whole way unless a wheel falls off or something.

#4 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:36 AM

Yep.

#5 Aunty K

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:31 PM

I really wanted to do this one & talked about it for ages... my plans/goals have changed & I will be support crew for a certain Truck!!

Anyone need me to carry gear just drop me a line.

Cheers, AK  ;)

#6 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

Looking forward to it, should be a fair few starters too.

#7 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

I have even been getting emails from people I have never heard of saying they are running !

I will more than likely just run the first 50km, given my current state of fitness or lack of.

#8 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:22 AM

Keen to run this but may not be a starter for a couple of reasons - McLeay River Marathon the weekend before and it is the night of the SMC annual dinner - so if I ran I would need to be back in Sydney by 8.00pm to get to Guilford by 9 which might be a hard call.

Might do the short option.  B)

#9 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:05 AM

Hang on a sec Ray,the run starts at 7am I think, so you should be done by about 3 or 4pm.  :)

#10 omni

Central Coast Mariners Supporting CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:10 AM

This clashing with the bay 2 bay may stop me ever running it, however maybe one year I'll start early and try a double, that's a long time in the future.

#11 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

quote:

This clashing with the bay 2 bay may stop me ever running it, however maybe one year I'll start early and try a double, that's a long time in the future.

No problem Omni, the B2B is the day after PMC?   :P

#12 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Colin:
Hang on a sec Ray,the run starts at 7am I think, so you should be done by about 3 or 4pm.   :)  

yeah Ray ya blouse!

#13 SpartaJen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:42 PM

I'll be there - somewhere along the way - in a cheering capacity. Though given my plans for the night before, I don't expect to make it to the start   ;)

#14 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

quote:

yeah Ray ya blouse

More like being realistic - I thought 12 hours or have I got it very wrong.  B)

#15 Mister G

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

I'll be surprised if you're not a couple of hours quicker, Ray.

#16 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

just stick with Spud and you will be home before it is dark.

#17 omni

Central Coast Mariners Supporting CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:21 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Spud:

quote:

No problem Omni, the B2B is the day after PMC?    :P  

Yep, short train trip from Gosford to Woy Woy. So at the VERY least 2 years away for me!

#18 Chub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:35 AM

Can't believe i'm actually putting this out there but a certain vegan, KT-wearing freak has almost convinced me i might be able to make the distance so i might be at the Opera House 7am too. Am very, very slow so no doubt will be running solo. God, somebody slap me ...

#19 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:10 AM

come on!  If you can survive the trailwalker then you can do the PMC    ;)  

Plus the PMC is great training for the 12 Foot.

It is a pity topcat wussed out on you   :P

#20 Redback

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:52 PM

Quick question...

If one was wanting to run 15-20k just to be part of it and support the rest of you, is it better to join you at the start or along the way (unfortunately it would have to be more on the Sydney side than the Gosford side)

#21 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

Tim you could start at the Opera House and run with us to Chatswood and beyond. Running over the Harbour Bridge as the sun is rising is special.  ;)   Or if you want a lie in, tag along later along the Pacific Highway, I'll be carrying my mobile so you could just call and hook up somewhere along the way? Shoot me an e-mail if you want my number.

Hope to see you there.

#22 Chub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

"Plus the PMC is great training for the 12 Foot" ... and the 12 Foot is great training for the GNW ... that's how it goes isn't it!

Yeah will have to talk to Topcat and say PLEASE talk me out of it

#23 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

Redback - it depends on how easy it is to have your transport etc arranged. If you run 20km then stop - its hard to see/offer support with no car. If meeting someone with a car then it makes it easier.

Over the years, people have done many different combinations. All variations perfectly welcome.

#24 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Chub:
"Plus the PMC is great training for the 12 Foot" ... and the 12 Foot is great training for the GNW ... that's how it goes isn't it!

each run is good training for the next so all you really need to do is start somewhere.  And a run that is peppered with train stations has to be the ideal place to enter the Fatass World.

There are many good reasons not to do this run.  But in the end you will regret it if you do not come out and have a go.

#25 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

quote:

Originally posted by tim:

quote:

Originally posted by Chub:

each run is good training for the next ...

Forgive me for butting into the ultraworld but do you feel that you are racing these races? or you do them for the fun of the run? Or do you target a specific race every few months?

#26 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

I am not as qualified as some on this site to answer this question but I will throw my 2 bobs worth in.

To attempt to run 100 miles, it is beneficial to get through a few 50 mile events. Just like in marathon training, you need to get a few 30km runs under your belt.

How well people run these events depends upon their endurance, fitness and experience.

I will now let the more qualified Ultra Runners have their say.

#27 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:44 PM

quote:

If one was wanting to run 15-20k just to be part of it and support the rest of you, is it better to join you at the start or along the way (unfortunately it would have to be more on the Sydney side than the Gosford side)  

Redback last year I targeted being around after 40km  and then between 60 and 70 km - a good time to see the state of the runners and offer support.  Last year it was easier as 40km was Pie in Sky and 60-70km was in Bobbin Head.  This year 40km is Mt Colah and 60-70 km is the climb out of Mooney Mooney.    

If you can manage a bike as well you have a few options - you too Aunty.  Run with the group to between Chatswood-Turramurra.  Have a car meet you there with a bike and drive ahead to Mt Colah and then ride back towards the group.  This would work well if you bail soon after Chatswood allowing you time to ride back towards the group and then ride with them through Bobbin Head.  It is easier to ride this section as there is much less traffic.  If you bail too much after Chatswood you will have less time with runners in Bobbin Head.

Alternatively you can run with the runners from Turramurra (30km) to Berowra- Cowan (50km) where the support would be really appreciated.  However, on a bike you can move up and down the line providing  so food and drink.  

quote:

do you feel that you are racing these races? or you do them for the fun of the run? Or do you target a specific race every few months?  

Last year there seemed to be a lot of racing.  The lead guy came flying down into Bobbin Head got a drink from his crew, changed support runners and took up the hill to Turramurra  - he finished in 8 hours something.  Further back ( and not too far back)people were just happy to keep going.

This year I sense and have spoken to a few who just want to go for a run.  MIght be the start of a new era with a lot of people just "running around the block".

cheers  Plu

#28 Mister G

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:46 PM

quote:

Originally posted by FakePlasticTrees:
Forgive me for butting into the ultraworld but do you feel that you are racing these races? or you do them for the fun of the run? Or do you target a specific race every few months?

It's okay FPT, your interest has been logged for future reference.  :)  

I've done a lot of marathon- 60K type stuff over the years purely as training, so I won't push hard in these events. I do try to ramp up the distances of the really long runs as I approach my target races, which are usually 100 miles or more (or Six Foot Track), so I'll be doing 100K events, etc. Trailwalker is a great training run for a 100 miler, pity it clashes with Glasshouse these days.

I'll also add that with a lot of ultras in your legs you tend to recover quite fast from big events (at least, that was the case with me before I got Glandular Fever, not sure how things work for me now)- I could count on being ready to resume normal training three weeks after a 100 miler. So to do the shorter distance ultras in succession was not a major hassle.

#29 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:26 AM

quote:

do you feel that you are racing these races? or you do them for the fun of the run? Or do you target a specific race every few months?

PMC-training run, but will run reasonably hard and will be treating it as a race. With the next race a few weeks later, plenty of time to recover. The main focus is most definitely on the longer events at the end of the year and as such this is a "training" race in the build up. There will be minimum taper (if any at all, I didn't last year). A recovery week and then straight back into big weeks.
Still lots of fun to be had too.   ;)

#30 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:35 AM

all of the above.

for me the main goal of this year is a 100 Mile.   Although the C2K is starting to dominate my head. But that does not mean that the PMC is not something I am hoping to do well at.  I will, like Spud not be tapering and I will be trying to run it hard.  

It is also a time to do what I enjoy best - sharing the experience of a long run with people who share a similar passion.  Then there is the added benefit of getting to talk a lot about it on coolrunning.

#31 water bag

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

Plu,

I was pleased to read that you managed to pull through what must've been a very tough last 16km when I DNF'd at Canberra. Well done. My Comrades dream this year has been shattered as a result of the same injury.

I am in the process of sending water sachets to Sydney for the Blacktown Fun Run 4th June and the Westlink M7 Marathon end July. As you know the water sachets are the same product as is used at the real Comrades. I would like to sponsor the Poor Mans Comrades with 1000 sachets (10 boxes), and give the runners at the PMC a taste of the real event.

To this end I will send 10 additional boxes with the Blacktown Fun Run delivery, and if you're interested, you will be able to arrange to fetch these from the event organiser of that event, and distribute to your and other support crew of the PMC. Please get hold of me on 0412 425 417 so that I can pass his details on to you.

Kind Regards,
WB

#32 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

HI Waterbag,

I hope you are on the road to recovery.  

Thanks for the offer of water bags.  I am not sure how to proceed from here. As I will be going starting a 'run around the block' that morning.

I should be able to get the water bags as the link in the chain to a group of people who might be going for a Saturday morning and afternoon drive up the Pacific Highway.

If anyone is planning a Saturday drive up the Pacific Highway, as a  few people "run around the block",  a boot of water bags would be useful.   Also I am sure somehow  a stash of waterbags could be place out near Mt White the  night before....

cheers  Plu

#33 langswm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

Geez I'm tempted to do a portion of this as my final long run before GCM. It will be a toss-up between this and the Clovelly STaR the next day, but with so many CR luminaries running.....

#34 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

quote:

Originally posted by plu:
  I am not sure how to proceed from here.

I guess Alan means to give him a call and pick up from Blacktown Council or from the Fun Run venue.

I am not running the fun run, but may be able to pop over to the event after my long run Sunday morning.

I could pick it up for you or arrange for one of of club 'members' to do so.

My estimate is that you may only require 300-400 bags (at a rate of one per 5km).

cheers
  :)

#35 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

Looks like I'll miss the whole thing this year as I'll be down the south coast on the same day racing the state XC champs   <_<

#36 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

Expect that I will be a non starter for a few reasons - doubt if the situation will change - dam !!!!  <_<

#37 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

No plans to enter into the ultra world beyond the debacle that was 6ft at this stage. I'd probably just like to be able to run more than 80ks a week without my limbs falling off.

My initial thoughts were around, why is anybody doing this race if they aren't really racing? Then after the comments I realised that if you are needing to do these distances in training why not do it in a way that is enjoyable and provides a yearly checkpoint to see how you are tracking. Sometimes it's a little hard to get my head around the fact that you can recover in a week from a 100k run, maybe one day.

#38 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:42 PM

You know FPT there are a bunch of ultra runners out there surviving off less than 45km a week in training.

#39 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

Jerry Dunn  Posted Image  gives some insight to the training and running for so long.  This is from enduranceradio.com.

cheers  Plu

#40 water bag

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

Colin/Plu,
My intentions of using a transport company to deliver to Blacktown this AM were dashed due to the rain. Using an open trailer to get the boxes to the transport co, the boxes would collapse.

Plan B
I'll drive to Sydney on Saturday to deliver the boxes to Blacktown Olympic Park, Rooty Hill. I expect to be there at 1pm. Under the circumstances I would be prepared to drop the boxes off at a nearby destination from 12-2pm. Please advise.
Cheers,
WB

#41 Chub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:50 PM

That's very generous of you Waterbag. Thank you

#42 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:20 AM

When waterbag donated a few boxes of these for C2K I was really doubtful whether they would be any use in an ultra.  But, to my surprise, I preferred carrying three or four each stop to carrying a bottle.

How can I get to this?  Wouldn't that be a great double. Richmans then poormans back to back...

#43 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:48 AM

tim said  

quote:

You know FPT there are a bunch of ultra runners out there surviving off less than 45km a week in training.

There are some ultra runners that would consider 45 km/wk over training.  :P  

FPT they may say they are not racing but I guarantee there will be plenty of glancing over the shoulder along the course.  ;)

#44 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:55 AM

quote:

but I guarantee there will be plenty of glancing over the shoulder along the course.

oh yeah I was doing that heaps last year   :P

#45 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:21 AM

With carrying the waterbags, once you have drunk them just shove it into your pants until the next bin/drink station--too easy.

Don't worry, we've worked a way of getting it from Alan.

many thanks  :)

#46 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:42 PM

This discussion of waterbags - did it pop up in the wrong thread ? is there a plan for waterbags at PMC ?

#47 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

Yep  here.   :)

#48 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

quote:

Originally posted by KevinTiller:
This discussion of waterbags - did it pop up in the wrong thread ? is there a plan for waterbags at PMC ?

get with the program Kevin!  I think if we keep getting spoilt like this we will have to call it soft ass.

#49 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

Don't think there are plans for seconding stations.

Each runner (or his own second) should carry his requirement.

#50 Steve M

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

Plu I was looking through the spreadhseet but don't the area well enough to know what locations would be suitable retreat points close to public transport. I am thinking something like 35-50k may be a goer for me.