• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paolo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:24 AM

Hi all

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how best to run a 10k that is:
Flat for the first 3k
Downhill for the next 2k
Uphill for the next 3k
and finishes with 2k on the flat.
It takes place in Dublin's Pheonix Park this Sat 3rd April 2004, and it's my first real run for about 10 years (I'm now 28). I've also just given up the cigarettes, but surprisingly I don't feel too unfit when training. I'm just not sure how to pace myself, and don't want to go off too fast only to suffer in the uphill section.

Thanks

Paolo

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 runnin on empty

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:57 PM

Hi Paolo

My advice is to start out easy and see how you feel after 3k. If you are coping ok then maintain this pace until 5k and see how you feel then. After 5k, what tends to happen is you lose concentration and can struggle from 6k onwards to 9k, then you realize you are almost there and re focus again. If you go out too hard you could blow up way from home and turn an enjoyable run into an exhausted nightmare.

Good luck with it

#3 Paolo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:00 AM

Thanks a million for your advice!
I did the second half of the course last night, plus another couple of k's. I took it slow and steady on the uphill, but as you've pointed out, by the time I get to the 5k point on Saturday, I could be knackered!
Paolo

#4 Grey beard

I beat Monas once...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:08 AM

Top of the morning to you Paolo - what a fantastic spot to go for a run!
The ideal way to run is at a consistent effort all the way - which will be slightly faster downhill and slower uphill. If you start too fast you'll fatigue more quickly and your total time will be worse, despite the gains you make at the start.
I used to always start a 10 km race too fast, only to slow down considerably past the half-way mark. Now I simply monitor my breathing rate, and slow down a notch if I can't sustain a rhythm of 2 steps breathing in & 3 steps breathing out over the first 2 or 3 km. After about half way or on a hill I'll pick up the breathing to 2:2 gear (2 steps breathing in, 2 steps breathing out), but over the years I've found I have to be reasonably well trained to keep 2:2 going all the way for 10 km without hurting.
Given the undulations on your course, I'd say start slow at 2:3 till you're warmed up and comfortable, then relax and let yourself 'roll' a bit faster down the hill (slightly longer strides but not too long, still 2:3 breathing), and then focus on your breathing and try to keep things together up the hill at 2:2. If you've got anything left, go for it over the last km or so.

#5 Joey Buttafuco

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:40 PM

Paulo, Paulo, Paulo. There is a running brand motto that springs to mind that you might find quite useful. It went something like "Just do it".

#6 shellfish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi, just wondering how you know when you have been running 3km or 6km? Do you use an app or watch or gage it yourself?

#7 dazmuzza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

View Postshellfish, on 11 June 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Hi, just wondering how you know when you have been running 3km or 6km? Do you use an app or watch or gage it yourself?

I usually use mapmyrun.com to map out a potential course. I use nike+ on my iphone while running which is accurate enough to give me a fair idea of the distance travelled. Garmin watches are very popular but expensive.

#8 mazada74

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hello Shellfish. If you are charting a course for the first time, Google Maps is really great. You can measure how many km's your course is by using the 'Distance' function. Just click in point A and B and it tells you the km's. Magic!

#9 leyley

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

I wonder how Paolo went...