• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

#1 Sprinting Turtle

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

Hello, I started running about a year ago to lose weight and it has helped me to lose 11 kg so far (I now weigh 75). Most of my runs have been long/slow runs running 14 km in 82 to 85 minutes.  I can also do 5k in 25 minutes running "hard" or 27 minutes running "easy".

Ten days from now I will try to run my first race - 10k thats: 4 k downhill, 1 k uphill, 2 k flat, 2 k uphill, 1 k flat. Today I ran that course in 56 minutes, I tried to go out slow considering that the first 5 k is really easy but wound up having to walk a few times at 7 and 8 k.  I think its a pacing problem but I find it extremely hard to run downhill any slower than I did this time however my 5k split time was 23 minutes, and it took me a long slow 33 minutes to do the second 5k.  

I usually dont like to run downhill, because it punishes my knees, I would rather run at 7 kph up a 10% grade than down the hill.

I felt very de-motivated during the last 2.5k or so, it was hot, no breeze and I felt extremely thirsty and slugish. I was also disapointed that my time was so slow, beacause I was hoping to run the whole distance in 50-52 minutes.

Any hints for me the run is in a 10 days?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 wobbly man

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Sprinting Turtle:
.....Any hints for me the run is in a 10 days?

I am hopeless at pacing ST so will offer only this advice - as this is your first 10k race any time is going to be a PB so enjoy the experience - and maybe try and focus on keeping your breathing under control during the bit where you felt like walking.  Congrats on making it to the start line!

#3 RunningOnEmpty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:17 PM

ST,

My advice for your 1st 10km is to take it easy at the start.
Don't be too concerned about pace/time for the first 3km, settle in and get your breathing under control.
It would be better for you to negative split this run (2nd 5km run faster than the 1st).
I see a lot of first timers going out too quick and struggling after the initial excitement.
On your subsequent 10km runs you can then look at specific km splits.
Good Luck  :)

#4 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

Hi Sprinting Turtle (no relation to me though!). First, congratulations on your effort and perserverance over the past year to lose 11kgs. You have already got over the biggest hurdle in my opinion. A great achievement.
In regards to your recent run, it sounds like the left side of your brain took control in your 10k trial. That's the side that gives you all the logical reasons for stopping...and is often very convincing. So, my first suggestion is to get some right sided positive thoughts happening. There is another thread going at the moment regarding  Running Psychology with some great ideas. There are also lots of books around too. I personally find Lance Armstrong's biographies incredibly motivating in pushing past the pain barriers. Different things will work for different people.
Secondly, walking isn't failing. In fact it can be very beneficial in improving your times and reducing the chance of injury. Jeff Galloway's book "Marathon Running" uses walking in training to do just that. When I first started running, I felt a failure when I had to walk. Now I use it regularly and I have seen improved times and have remained injury free for 2 years now.
Anyway, hope this helps you reach your goal in reaching your 50-52 minutes....let us know how you went.
Myrtle The Turtle

#5 Grey beard

I beat Monas once...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

Good on you for getting to the start line ST. As the others say, there is no failure in walking if you have to and whatever the outcome you'll have a pb to beat next time round.

I always find race day brings an extra something you don't expect - must be the adrenaline and the excitement of running with a group. For me it can be as much as a 5% effect.

As RunningOnEmpty says, don't start too fast. Try to settle in with a group travelling at a good but sustainable pace for you. You'll find they 'carry you along' for quite a distance. And don't despair if a few people start to pass you - let that group go past and then settle in again with another group coming along behind. You'll probably find you can stick with that group all the way.

Wobblyman's suggestion of watching your breathing is also good advice. I monitor my breathing every few hundred metres and try to keep at a pace that lets me comfortably breathe in for 2 steps and out for 2 steps. At the start it might even be 3:3 or 3:2 for the first half km. A rhythm really helps keep you going, but don't be surprised if it changes with hills and with fatigue as you get towards the end.

Getting towards the end, if you're feeling good set your sights on someone 20 metres ahead and slowly 'wind them in'. Racing is as much mental toughness as it is physical fitness. It is always encouraging to pass people in the last couple of kms. And if you have anything left, try to sprint to the line for the last 100 metres or so. It's good to feel you've put it all out there!

Good luck ST and let us know how you go.

#6 Shepster

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

Just jog and have fun on your first run.

enjoy the experience

#7 Sprinting Turtle

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the pep talk everybody!   :)  I am pleasantly surprised by everyone's valuable advice. I will try to update you on my progress, and post my results after the run.

#8 Sprinting Turtle

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:09 AM

Just finished running my first race ("10K"), and I feel great and superbly excited.
The race was quiet small there were only about 40-45 male runners and 12-15 female runners.
Besides being small it was also probably the longest 10K I will ever run because in reality

it was 11K. The race was pretty well organized there were about a dozen or so volunteers,

water was given out before the race and starting from 5K about every 2K or so. The atmosphere after the race was quiet exciting, there was music and some food (for sale) but unfortunately it seems like after the race most runners broke of into cliques and did not mix too much.

Regarding my personal feelings: I ran faster than I expected especially during the 2nd half
of the race.  I felt pretty good and happy, I was passing guys my age who were perhaps 15
kilos lighter than me.  Even though the race was small it felt good to have people cheering
you on, unfortunately I ran most of the 2nd half of the race by myself.  I was a little
surprised to see people walk as early as 1K into the race after obviously starting out way
too fast.  I was pretty glad that I didn't walk once during the whole time, even though I
slowed down substantially on the uphills.

Regarding the distance of the race, everyone (even the organizer) admitted that it was long
he claimed that it was 12k, however have driven the course distance twice in my car and ran
it once  I am confident that it was between 11,0 and 11,2 k.  I really don't mind since
it will only make my second 10K seem much faster, and if anyone asks I will give them my
official time.

Here's a break down of my experience:

Distance (m) Time(min)  Speed(kph) Thoughts

1120 6:00     11,2 Started from the very back of the pack, Settled in to
a comfortable pace.  Warmed up on this relatively flat segment.
2100 10:10     14,7 A long downhill, rolled down tried not to "push" myself too much felt a little smug passing a skinny young runner huffing along like a locomotive.
4800 24:00     11,6 Half downhill, half uphill was hard to settle in to a
comfortable (slow) pace after a long downhill.
6400 34:20     9,6 Mostly uphill, grabbed my first cup of water.
9000 47:55     11,1 Pretty flat mostly, felt like I was making good time.
10200 55:05       10,3 Last Uphill
11000 58:25     14,0 Last 800 meters felt very good, last 200 was a flat out sprint. A little confusion as to the location
of the finish line. But feeling high as a kite after finishing.

Felt very excited and "gay" after the finish, most other runners were giving me weird looks
when I started dancing to the music after grabbing a bottle of water.  Unfortunately didn't
have time to get a massage or even really stretch out, grabbed a t-shirt and went home.

The race results made me feel pretty good in that I came in 13th overall (12th male)  out of
about 55-60 people.  The winner came in about 44:30.  

Pre race preparation: a little stretching and light jogging for 5 minutes or so.  Drank
about a cup of water and half a cup of hot cocoa mixed with coffee (my breakfast). Had to
urinate about 10-15 minutes before the start. Preemtively took 2 acetominophen about 4 k
into the race, but probably unnecesarily as i had no pains or aches at any time. After the
race drank about half a liter of water and the rest of the cocoa/coffee. Chilled out about
25 minutes or so after finishing.

Looking forward to my next one!

#9 shuffle_run

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:51 PM

Well done ST.   I'm about to enter my 2nd 10k run and feeling a little apprehensive at not having trained well for it but reading this thread and your great result has really spurred me on.    So what's next?

#10 Mo.G

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:27 AM

Sprinting Turtle
i'm glad you enjoyed your first 10k run
your story of running to loose weight was the exact reason for my running which started about 3 years ago, reading books about running, then subscribed to Runners World magazine gave gave me alot of information and motivation from other runners to enter my first 10k race at colonial stadium in 2002
i started easy but after a u turn  saw Mona leading the pack
so i speeded up to catch up with him and this made me finished faster than expected  also very tiered too.
Mona finished that race i think in 29+ and i caught up with him, after the race of course.
ever since i jumped up to longer distances such as half and marathon and have done a few of them,i try to do every race better than the one before, at the same time i do enjoy the race and the peaple as well and have become freinds with  many great peaple  
keep running i'm sure you will enjoy it and will  increase the distance soon.
we all want to chalenge our limits don't we?
good luck

#11 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:01 PM

Congratulations ST! It is a great high isn't it? Thanks for sharing your experience with us all. As a late starter to running (a couple of years ago) I know exactly how you must have felt and how you are feeling right now. Savour the moment...you have earned it.

Cheers
M the T.

#12 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:01 PM

Sprinting Turtle, why did you take the Acetominophen?

#13 Speedster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

Its great hear your enthusiasm fly off the screen.

My first race was a ten k. I was pumped and young. I have a football past. Therefore, I took it rather seriously. I went out with the leaders and ran 38.57. I wanted to know if I had managed to run a place but was disappointed when I found out that I hadnt won anything. This became a pattern throughout my running career. My training partner was rapt. She is a former NSW triathlon champion. She said "You should celebrate" my reply was "But I dont drink". She said that she wished she could run that time. She was semi retired from competition though...

Enjoy the fruits of running and throw yourself into the competition side of the sport. It can be very rewarding.

#14 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

ST, What a great commentary of your experience during the race. How do you recall all of that information during the race?
I'm flat out remembering to start my watch half of the time and to stop it at the end!
Congratulations, well done! I am inspired and preparing for my first 10k run now!!

#15 OKDIFmrki

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

This was so long ago, but i somehow found it. I like this posts and it is motivating to me to enter my first 8k cross county race in few weeks time. Thank you turtle.
Mrgud, Serbia

#16 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

Well done ST on your first race!

My advice for future races is drink plenty of water in the 24 hours before the race, then you will not need to take much/any on board during the actual event.

Do 'interval' training to increase your aerobic capacity and your ability to sustain a fast pace. For example, after a 10 minute warmup jog, run 1km fast (10km race pace) and then a standing or jog recovery. Repeat this four times. If you do this a couple of times a week as well as your longer distance training, your speed will increase and your times will improve. As you get fitter, you can do a few more reps.

All the best with your running.

P.S. I am also confused as to why you took medication during the race? Is that under doctor's advice?

#17 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

View Postgo girl, on May 18 2005, 09:57 PM, said:

ST, What a great commentary of your experience during the race. How do you recall all of that information during the race?
I'm flat out remembering to start my watch half of the time and to stop it at the end!
Congratulations, well done! I am inspired and preparing for my first 10k run now!!
How much we learn in a very short 3-4 years.
Never done a 10KM race may 2005 and know already finished TNF100 3 years later with a great time.

Brick
:D

#18 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

View PostSprinting Turtle, on May 17 2005, 09:09 AM, said:

Preemtively took 2 acetominophen about 4 k
into the race, but probably unnecesarily as i had no pains or aches at any time.

As Bellthorpe said "why do you take the paracetamol"??

don't rely on paracetamol "just in case"...it becomes a security blanket when not required.  If injured - fix it.

otis

"edit".  I didn't check date 2005.  bit late with my comments then.

Edited by otisr, 12 January 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#19 sook54

channelling my inner athlete

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

But good advice anyway for anyone reading the thread 4 years later...

#20 henryjoseph

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

And I'm reading it 5 years later! And still a good read. I just did my second 10km with Sydney Striders on the weekend.
Cheers,
Scott

#21 Flee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Whatever you do, don't do this.

#22 volc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

View PostFlee, on Jun 24 2010, 09:53 PM, said:

Very amusing Flee!

#23 muppet

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

View PostFlee, on Jun 24 2010, 09:23 PM, said:

That is seriously funny!!

#24 bornagain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Ha ha - there is some gear here that I dont own yet, no wonder Im so slow! :diablo:

#25 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

View PostFlee, on Jun 24 2010, 07:53 PM, said:

Hahaha love it!!

#26 Ironman13

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

View PostRunningOnEmpty, on May 8 2005, 04:17 PM, said:

ST,

My advice for your 1st 10km is to take it easy at the start.
Don't be too concerned about pace/time for the first 3km, settle in and get your breathing under control.
It would be better for you to negative split this run (2nd 5km run faster than the 1st).
I see a lot of first timers going out too quick and struggling after the initial excitement.
On your subsequent 10km runs you can then look at specific km splits.
Good Luck  :Talking Ear Off:
I agree with this. Starting slow and progressing- to coin the phrase, is a common tool for this sort of cardio- training-racing. I'm a cert 4 trainer runner and cyclist(among others). You'll see the big more successful time trial teams doing same thing to 'build' during an event. Controlling your breathing is a great simple idea to get you to perform at your own individual level and get somewhere. Cheers and enjoy!
Glen ironman

#27 Davo83

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

yep agree with above. The best advice and what has helped me improve my times with the longer races is to keep the 1st Km under control.
Having a decent warmup is vital too, as you want your body ready to go from the start, not from the 4km mark etc.