#51 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

View PostSpud, on Aug 25 2006, 09:44 AM, said:

Just got back from my morning run, ran through the first section of TW back to East Ryde and watched the front runners come through. Jo Blake and team were moving along comfortably at the front followed by the Cosmo Boys.
Saw the fatass team with "no taper" Tim, "what knees" Herrmannator, "no ankles" Nick Drayton and the tireless Marie Claire.  Paul Every and team were moving along well too along with a few Striders and CRs, early days.

I took some snaps with my mobile and will put them up later.
Here's one of the fatass boys, Tim and Jan on the pipe bridge in East Ryde.

Gee Spud, I bet you wish you were out there?   :huh:

Go fatass boys and girl.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#52 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

Just spoke to Tim, cruising along enjoying the beautiful Sydney bush.
Departed CP2 at 10.27.

Go FART!  :huh:

And yes Whippet I would love to be out there with them.  <_<

#53 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:37 PM

Some photos

#54 dickyboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

Much as I want to see the Cosmoboys beat ACTrun, I would never write off a wily old team with people like Trevor Jacobs. Bear in mind that ACTrun managed to put 30 minutes into the Cosmoboys in the last leg last year so keep your eyes peeled for a right royal ding-dong (hopefully).
They are travelling a bit slower than last year so anyone looking to go to the finish to see the winners should be looking at a bit after 7pm.

#55 plu

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:53 PM

Got on to Tim at 12:00 and he was at the back of Westleigh just after half way between Checkpoint 2 and 3.  Then got a message that the leaders were through Berowra at 6:30 hours about 1:30 and then Tim was at Checkpoint 4 Berowra just after 3:00pm _ I assume the same spot as the leaders 1:30 earlier. Those messages were from Omni out on the course.

Tim said his cold was under control for those who have been following his blog in the last two posts.

Go Team.

cheers  Plu

Update:  Seems like Paul Every and Jan went through where Omni is (Berowra way) under 9 hours (4:40 or so and Tim's group at 10 hours around  5:00pm.   How many KM is that ??  Anyone know.

#56 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

Hi all,

It seems like I am the only one reporting in.  I have just come home from a quick trip to AppleTree Bay hoping to cacth up with Tim and the Team and I fluked catching them.  I was able to ahve a chat while they had a break and a bite to eat.  They left at 7:10pm which is 12:10 minutes for 65km.  

While there Royworlds came in as well.

Here are some photos.

The photos are in reverse order again. Slideshow 1 second interval.

cheers  Plu

#57 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

Missed you earlier Plu, thanks for the update and photos. FART looking good. Cosmoboys too good on the day with ACT Run a creditable second.   :huh:

#58 omni

Central Coast Mariners Supporting CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

I was out at CP5, which I think is about 55km or so.

#59 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

Well done to Coolrunners..

Phantom Torsos - 7th in 15:12
F.A.R.T. - 56th in 20:37

Congratulations comrades.

#60 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

thanks.

It was another fine event.  I have had the honour to run with some tough people.  A few years ago Nick broke a bone in his foot 25km from the finish and still finished.  This year Jan was in great pain from the word go with his knees but ran the whole event.  And did not whinge or complain once.  I would have!

We were a bit slower than the last few years but we expected that.  

The trail is bloody tough on your feet and you have to keep focused or you will be kissing the ground.  It is such a great run but I still hate the 2nd last leg!  It was nice to get a bunch of sms's and see plu out there on the course.  

There seems to be so many teams out there running this event really well and everyone is so friendly and supportive when out there on the trail.  

I seem to pig out on oranges and the soup all day yesterday (or was that today?).  At one check point the lady in there was telling me that some strange guy was just through there that didn't eat any chicken or fish.  She just could not understand where he would get his iron from to run such events  :huh:

nice running everyone.

#61 seris

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

Hey Bandanna,
Congrats on your run, I know how it feels to finish on your own (did that 4 years ago)
Hope the rest of your team recover quickly and that you can run Sydney with us in 3 weeks??
(That's if my blisters have healed, otherwise I feel great!!) Pete held up well, how are you feeling?

#62 Shuffler

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:40 AM

Congratulations everyone!

Very gratefull that the weather didn't blow out. We made it in 24:11 which was pretty much on expectations. Lost  a team member a couple of kms into the Berwora leg & had to take him back. We were very grateful that he offered to join us at all after a very late withdrawal.

We had a great time meeting up with teams along the way some several times.

As tim said, that 2nd last leg is hell even for those of us going a lot slower.

Just wondering what happened to Fitzy--trail runner --who started the thread?

Moe

#63 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the well wishes Seris, and congrats on your team's fantastic time, that's an awesome achievement.

I feel great, already had a nice recovery run, and can't wait for the Sydney Marathon.

Trailwalker being a team event, it definitely is disheartening to see the rest of the team disintegrate and succumb due to injury and ailments. Left alone, it does make crossing the finish line (20:22) a less than satisfying experience.

Overall, a great day for running. Well done to everybody who participated, nice to see so many familiar faces out on the track and many thanks to the cheerful volunteers manning the checkpoints.

Edited by Bandanna, 27 August 2006 - 01:18 PM.

#64 Chub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

What an event! After having a great first Trailwalker experience last year i thought backing up this year would be tempting fate but no - again, it was brilliant.

What a privilege and an honour to be part of F.A.R.T. Happy with a 20.37 finish. Thank you to our venerable leader Nick, Tim and Jan (aka "Sex Panther"!) and a very entertaining crew. The courage under fire award to Jan who came through on the strength of his mind, what a guy.

Spotted some CR gear out there, notably on the head of Cassisg at the start just before you blew us off. Well done on a great time to you guys (16:58 i believe!)

#65 Dutchie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

Dutchy's Army-
with Striders- Clare Holland and Roland Hassall and 2 Melburnians, had a great event, keeping up the pace throughout to finish 35th in a time of 18hrs 46mins :huh:

#66 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

View Posttim, on Aug 26 2006, 02:14 AM, said:

She just could not understand where he would get his iron from to run such events  ;)

Hope you offered her some of your Nutrigrain Tim :huh:

Well done though, and congrats to everyone !

#67 cassisg

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hi All (a bit of a late update...)

Team 224 - Commrunners dragged me along kicking and screaming (ok, I didn;t scream, but I was pretty close to saying thank you very much - have a nice day at apple tree bay), and my support crew who didn;t know me from a bar of soap a week ago were absolute legends. Telf's a legend in his own right, and to have him and Robbo supporting us made it bearable.

We ended up coming in at 16:57 - 19th overall and 13th full team home. I'm still not sure how we did that, and I certainly felt like the weak link most of the way, but I can sleep knowing that no matter how tough it got, and how much my freaking quads were aching, nobody gave me a piggy back.

It was a great event and amazing to see so many tough people out there, I take my hat off to you.

#68 nite_time_runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

Well I can say I finished a Trailwalker!!   :huh:    It was awesome! Our team (208) finished ( only 2 of us left ) in 28hr 24 mins.  It was a great course, met heaps of great people ( the Team Westies from The Western Districts Joggers and Harriers were funny, always on the same part of the track as us, and very inspirational! ), a few CoolRunners ( big daddy? ) and generally had a great time.

I know that compared to some of the other times posted, 28hr does not sound flash, but not all CoolRunners are fast runners ( and sometimes we struggle to even run!! ).  My brother (the team member i finished with)  and I are proud of this achievement, and itís only dampened by not having the whole team finish  ;)  - I am sure they will avenge the track next year though- they have the guts and determination to do it, so I am sure they will! ( i will be support crew, not sure i will do this one again soon - takes too long! )

I think the best tactics for me were to drink powerade/water mix the whole time, changing shoes at half way and the last checkpoint, and using a can of V and a Mars bar as a real pick me up when I started getting real tired at the 85km mark.  

Also, if we weren't tight on our checkpoints, we would have been well over 30hours, so keeping them short (approx 10mins each and 40 for dinner and change of clothes etc at Crosslands), definitely worked also.

Thanks to all the volunteers and other teams whom we shared the track with so often (funny how you see the same teams over and over again!!)   Congrats to the other CR's who posted, and had, great times!!

#69 Big_Daddy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:30 AM

Completed my first trail walker with the Westies (Western District Joggers and Harriers) team. Happy with the time (29hrs) and really enjoyed the experience. Saw some CR out there and chatted with Nite_time_runner several times. We all kept each other going and we made it to the end.

Great experience with great people despite being very challenging it was an amazing event. Our volunteers were fantastic and they certainly make the event less gruelling. They were an amazing bunch and they did everything for us for the duration well done team.

#70 trail runner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Hi all,

Great to hear so many teams completing some great times. I have been away on hols and therefore the late reply.

Our team ended up running 13th in a time of 16hrs 23mins :) . Unfortunately not all went to plan with yours truly pulling out at the 55km mark (Berowra).

I had the pleasure of cramping ;)  from the 20km mark and for 35 km tried to push through but to no avail. The team (other than myself) was very fresh at the 55km and I had been reduced to a walk and every time I stubbed a toe or the like the legs (both  thighs and calves) would lock up with cramps.

At one point I was trying to get down a rock one leg cramped then the next and then the stomach all muscles convulsing at the same time and I was laying flat on the rock yelling expletives :huh: , with team bantering lightly behind me about sharks or mullet in the creek.

So I had to bail out at Berowra (a very humbling experience) and followed the boys from check point to checkpoint, cheering as they motored past many teams and registering a nice negative split.

Needless to say I was disappointed with the result after 19 weeks of training but very happy the boys ran a great time. The event was excellent as always with the only mishap a very poorly marked turn on the second leg which cost us 5-10mins.

Looking forward to next year and I will be looking for the cure to my cramps.

C U on the trails Fitzy