#1 Bailey

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:46 AM

Hi all,

Tonight my six month old Charlie (miniature Schnauzer)ran with me for the first time and I was wondering if many people run/train with their dogs and what distances they run and how often?

Happy running
Bailey  :D

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 fasterthanyou

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:16 AM

Don't push it well its still young and growing. However, once it has stoppped you can start taking it further. My coach used to take his pomeranian for 90 minute runs. He still claims it was the fittest pomeranian in the world. I have a bordercollie cockerspaniel x, but it really doesn't enjoy running for more than about seven minutes and at about 10 minutes it officially stops.

#3 bethroid

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:30 AM

I have a 6 year old border collie who ummm doesnt like going for a run. You take him for a walk and you have to almost carry him home!  :rolleyes:

#4 cat_night

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:38 AM

I used to run with my JR but I got too quick for her lol! She could do 4min k's for about 3k, after which she'd slow down to 5min k's. I'm not sure the furthest I took her, often did 6k, prolly no more than 8-10k, but if i'd trained her up she'd be able to run further & faster of course.

#5 wobbly man

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:48 AM

We have a 2.25yo lab that at my long run pace (6:00/km) can go 17k with just a few drink breaks.  At tempo pace she can only go 5-6kms before slowing down though. Once she breaks into a gallop her endurance goes way down.

Our vet suggested only starting to allow her to run with me when she reached 14 months and then it was just short runs which slowly built up.

#6 Tenzing

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:51 AM

Started running again when I got my BC. Took it easy initially - we were both new to the game. After a while we were running most days of the week. Now, 2 years on we're up to 18kms, about 1hr 25 pace. Its a flat run along the river & he gets a swim at the end & also gets to jump into a fountain at Riverside.

He doesn't really like hills & prefers not to drink much on the longer runs. He much prefers chasing a frisbee or ball...

I'm running the half marathon on Sunday - without him, no dogs policy...will be lonely without him!

#7 Frenchman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:08 AM

Yes I have to agree with fasterthanyou, don't push it too hard while it's still young, under 18 months. And like others mentioned dogs are like us they need training so you need to build thir mileage gradually.

All that said, moderate running is great for dogs and it keeps them in great shape. We run our retreiver kelpy X at least every second day for 30 to 60 min at 5 min pace. I've also taken her stlightly faster ~4 min pace but she doesn't like it quiet as much. With proper build up we've taken her out for up to 2h on trails with frequent drink and swim stops, and yes dogs can get blisters on their pads.

Watch the heat though, dogs don't seem to be able to regulate their body heat near as well as we do and can die of heat exhaustion. Also, dogs won't stop even if they're over heated and exhausted, so you need to give them regular drink and cool down swim breaks.

#8 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

I have a hypermanic 8 year old Weimeraner that a few CR's know. Monte loves a run and will come on all runs up to 2.5 - 3 hours. Just settles into a rhythm next to you and keeps going.

My normal short run pace is too slow for him and he loves doing reps in Timbrell Park - running rings around the lead guys for a bit of a challenge   :)

#9 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

I have a 4 y.o.Maltese terrier and the longest distance I have run with him is 21km in 2 hours. . I think he could run 50km before he puffed up. When I run 21km I take the shortest route. When my dog runs he is off the lead and zig-zags all over the place so I think his distance would be about 25-30km

#10 B+

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:41 PM

Got a 6 year old pitch black Staffie that will run anywhere with me. She much prefers running in winter as the heat knocks her around. I started running her from a pup and she will do my 3hr long runs with me when she is fit but can pull out a 90min run any time. Definitely watch their legs etc as pups as they do damage easily but the dog being your best friend won't stop and will just try to keep up and get more injured. I know and I was not very popular at the vet for a long time!!

#11 mel.b

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

I've got an 18mth old Alaskan Malamute and she did 7km with me on the weekend which has been our longest run to date. I'm very slow though, so my run isn't really even a trot for her  :rolleyes:    

Does anyone know anything about hands free leashes? I find it difficult to run with only one arm and thought I might try one of these.

Thanks,
mel

#12 Spot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

I have a 13-year-old golden retriever.  Five years ago she would beg to come running with me but ~1km was her limit and then she had to be dragged home.  Since then she has torn both ACL's (not while running) and so is happy to watch me go out the gate and welcome me back home.

Watch the heat.  Dog's can't sweat like we can - just the pads of their feet and thier tongue really.  Also all that fur doesn't help.  So long runs with a dog is more of a cold-weather thing.

By the way an interesting theory about human evolution is that by losing our body hair and developing sweat glands, we developed superior long-distance running capabilities that allowed our predecessors to run down larger, faster prey through pure persistence.

#13 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

quote:

Originally posted by mel.b:

Does anyone know anything about hands free leashes? I find it difficult to run with only one arm and thought I might try one of these.

On long runs I use a fuel belt for drinks etc then loop the lead on to this. Usually works without a problem.

#14 Sam79

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

I can run as far as I want with my Red heeler X Lab - even though shes a bit of a fattie....
My other dog is a coolie (bit like a  kelpie) and he has trouble with his front legs and shoulders getting sore.
I asked my vet about running with them and he wasnt too keen on the idea of 2+ hour runs with them.
If I take them now I make sure I go somewhere they can have a swim half way through.

#15 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:52 PM

My 4yo Lab can go about 45 mins before you have to start dragging him.  I think part of the problem is that he knows the way home from the beach so he doesn't feel the need to keep up!  He is one of the fittest, leanest looking Labs I have ever seen.

When I take him up into the hills around our place near Bright he will keep going for hours (pace is a fair bit slower)

I did not start running him until he was at least 8 months old, and then very gradually increased the distances and frequency.

#16 expozay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:08 PM

I went back to Canberra recently and took out my parent's border collie on a run.  I watched her carefully the entire way- we were running about 5:15/km pace and I was concerned she wouldn't be fit enough.  

We finished after about 15km and I then watched in dismay while she proceeded to chase wind gusts and birds for the next hour.  

I guess she wasn't worn out.    :rolleyes:

#17 whitos

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

I've seen leads that attach around your hips - not sure where though.  I used to run with my dog but he got bored.  Farm dogs have remarkable endurance and can run 60km in a day fairly easily.  Although building up to this level needs to be done slowly.

#18 fast1km

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

I’ve got a kelpie x Rottie and she loves to run…

Last year she was doing all my easy runs with me, half on leash half off…most of these runs were about 6km and run at about 3:40km, she has done up to an hour but hates the slower pace (3.55km) and loves running a hard 20min (3.20 to 3.30km) but it is difficult for me to keep an eye on her and run fast.

You can start running your dog when they are about 1yr old (older for larger dogs), and most working dogs are quite capable of running for a good hour as long as there is water at the end….

We also ran the Bay run together and won the runner and dog category (a great race and possibly the most manic start line you’ll ever see, if anyone on here likes running with their dog you must do this race!), we ran the first 3km in about 9:30, but by 5km she had to slow down and “jog” it in…too much excitement with all those people and the mad start tired her out. We hope to do it again but neither of us has been doing any running for the last 4 months…but there is a title to retain…

#19 Scott H

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

I use an elasticated lead and my dog with a harness attached to a belt. this stops the dog from choking when there is pace variation and from pulling me off my feet when he jumps ditches etc.

I bought mine in France but there are similar things available on this site with belts, harnesses and elasticated leads.

http://www.windchill...alking_belt.htm

cheers

Scott

#20 Cato

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

I have a 4 month old Airedale Terrier but am under a threat of death (or worse) from Mrs Cato if I take him running before he is fully grown.
The breeder said that under no circumstances should a dog go for long runs until they are fully grown (around 12 months)and their bone growth has ceased.
Up until this point they should only have self directed exercise.
So I will have to wait a little longer and even then I will have to ease him in slowly.
Airedales are magnificent runners (unlike myself)and I can't wait for him to join me.
At least one of us will look good!

CATO

#21 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

quote:

Originally posted by bethroid:
I have a 6 year old border collie who ummm doesnt like going for a run. You take him for a walk and you have to almost carry him home!   :rolleyes:  

bethroid, wow !  My border collie's 13 this year, and still can't wear him out. He runs all day and night, and even his paws run in his sleep !   :)

#22 vat

<3h 4 42.195 @ 41

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Cato:
...self directed exercise.

A surprisingly formal term for what is basically running around chasing things!

#23 spark driver

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

My Staffordshire Bull Terrier Oscar loves to go running on our 10 to 15 km runs.
Recently though I have upped the distance to 20 and he struggled a bit.
My wife and I have decided to keep him to the fun run distance and I will do the Halfs alone   <_<

#24 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

have a 2 year old  siberian husky (a bit older than this now!)
absolutely gorgeous dog and i love her dearly but struggles on the run.
seems to be able to do 6km/hr whether its 1km or 14km.
she looks quite buggered at times (i actually stopped with her the other night) but then if she sees something to chase/bite the ears will jump up and she's off.
can't figure her out.
unfortunately she suffers a bit from my intermittent running and i'm sure a more steady running partner would see her much fitter.

#25 runfaster

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:23 PM

quote:

Originally posted by queen_bee:
I have a hypermanic 8 year old Weimeraner that a few CR's know. Monte loves a run and will come on all runs up to 2.5 - 3 hours. Just settles into a rhythm next to you and keeps going.

My normal short run pace is too slow for him and he loves doing reps in Timbrell Park - running rings around the lead guys for a bit of a challenge    :)  

Hi queen_bee,
I have a weimaraner too, he is just a pup - only 20 weeks old. What age did you start running with Monte? I'd like to take mine running but he's a bit too young at the moment. Am interested in your experiences with this breed. Thanks.

#26 dirty harry

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:25 AM

I have a kelpie cross staffie cross something and he likes to run around half an hour before he hits the wall.
On cold days he runs like a champion but on the hot days I don't even bother, he overheats too quickly.
I reckon one of the main motivations for me to run is my dog, his crying or moaning gets to you.

#27 Grandpa

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:31 AM

There are 3 factors: 1) age of dog
                     2) breed
                     3) your speed/distance

Our Staffie never went on long runs when he was young but was keen on running down to the shops with me (about 1.5k each way). But she walked the Bay (7k) every weekend. after the age of about 9 she started to find it tough after 6k (4k on a hot day) and I didn't like carrying her that much when she wouldn't go any further. But she'd always be keen to go again.

I reckon the more wolf like dogs with big loping stride are best for running distance. Pomeranians and Maltese Terriers wouldn't seem to fit the bill. I think its just keenness that keeps them going.

No matter how fit your dog, they have short lives and it won't last I'm sorry to say. Let them tell you when they've had enough. Don't force them. The buggers are keen beyond their capabilities.

Grandpa

#28 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:51 AM

Whippets x 3, of course.  :D  The boys come for trail runs up to 2 hours on cool days. Never in the heat. My girl has been on runs with me for over 3 hours and then when we hit the beach she would chase seagulls.  :)

#29 Derek

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:53 AM

So, did you hear about the bloke who had a dog with no legs?
He took it out for a drag every morning.

An oldie but a goodie.........

#30 blkbox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:08 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Derek:

Was his dog called Winfield ??

#31 Sarge

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

Cato,

quote:

Airedales are magnificent runners  

Congratulations on owning one of the great breeds, I own a seven year old Airedale. However I'm not sure about your claim though. Oscar starts out keen but after about 2k's loses his enthusiasm and drags behind. I didn't start running till he was three so maybe he was stuck in his ways.

Good luck and enjoy the wet beards, crazy dancing and crouch pokes with his nose.

Sarge.

#32 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

My "Dog" can run 100 miles.  :D    :D

#33 bellie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

Beagles reign supreme!! My 8 year old beagle "Radar" lives to run. In the cooler months he is capable of 20+ klm's but not good in the heat. Age is catching up with him and now reducing k's somewhat as he is a big boy. His girlfriend "Bella" a fellow beagle is a finer build with no extra weight and able to run for much longer. These two are a sight running with us as they look like father and daughter with similar colouring. I started him running far too early at approx 6 months but no ill affects.

#34 lactatehead

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:01 PM

Whippet Man,
I have got a 10 month old whippet who loves running but I do not know when I should start taking him for a sustained longer run. Have you got any suggestions?

#35 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

lactatehead, welcome to the wonderful world of whippetdom.    :D  While I have no veterinary expertise (apart from living next door to 2 of them   :P )  like any growing body you don't want to stress them too early but at 10 months my girl was running regularly for an hour with me. The boys were both adults when we got them. Ease them into it and beware heat stress. They make great running buddies. I carry a collapsible water bowl on longer runs so they can have a drink. Have fun.

#36 lactatehead

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

Whippet man, I am already full convert to the world of whippets. I take him to regular whippet gatherings and occasionally take him to Healseville for the trials.
I think he is ready to accompany me on my morning 7k run but I just wanted to make sure that he is not too young.

#37 dog

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

He should be cool. My Jack Russell who is 3 years old has cranked out 40 km a week for sometime now. He is really good company.

#38 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

quote:

Hi queen_bee,  
I have a weimaraner too, he is just a pup - only 20 weeks old. What age did you start running with Monte? I'd like to take mine running but he's a bit too young at the moment. Am interested in your experiences with this breed. Thanks.

Runfaster, Monte came to live with us when he was 4 and was used to running & biking with his previous family so can't be of much assistance on the early starts. Definitely Weimeraners need a LOT of exercise. He is now 8 and has not slowed down in the slightest. Monte will happily go for as long as you let him.

In terms of our experience with this breed... well, shoot me an email - I'm happy to go into detail off-line. Putting it mildly, Monte is very highly strung and not the brightest spark... we have many interesting tales to tell.

#39 Brent

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:44 AM

I had a German Sheperd called Schultz for 13  1/2 years and he ran with me from about 12 months of age for as far as I could run and then wanted more.!!!
Sadly I ended up having to carry him up the stairs in the house that he used to bound up 2 at a time - because of hip problems.
I asked the vet if I had caused those problems by taking him running all the time , the vet told me that 13  1/2 was a great age for a german sheperd and that running had probably kept him going for as long as he had.  So running is good for us and for our dogs.
Schultz was my best friend, we had many a good conversation on our runs. I'd tell him things that I'd never tell anyone. I'm sure he's looking down from doggy heaven telling me to keep going when I want to give up and calling me the old dog when I'm slower than I used to be.
Thanks for making me remember these times, Schultz has been gone now for 7 years.
---------------------------------------
Always have something positive to say, you'll stand out from the crowd.
You can't saw sawdust so get on with your life.

#40 Brent

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:51 AM

#41 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:08 AM

My regular training partner is Gillie - a seven year old border Kelpie cross.  she has run over three and a half hours with me and probably done an extra five or six kilomteres because she runs out in front, then doubles back to see how I'm going.

I run every day and she come with me most days.  I've never seen her tired or unwilling to keep going.  And she has a great sprint when she sees a cat.  But can't turn quickly enough to get close to one.

#42 prfan1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:34 AM

I've had German Shepherds for years. My first, Ralph, used to run with me all the time. Took him for a 10.8km run one day and the poor thing just spread out on the tiles and barely moved when we got home. That scared me off a little so I left him home more often after that. Pity because I really loved running with him, he had a real sparkle in his eye when he was out there.

These days have two German Shepherds, one still a pup. Too many tangled leads, chased cats, dogs etc, so they have to stay home.

And Brent, half your luck, I wish I could get a German Shepherd to live 13 1/2 years. Hopefully this time.

#43 beagle

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:29 AM

I agree with Bellie - however my two beagles live by the nose so all runs and walks are really just interuptions between smelling opportunities along the way.

#44 CatWoman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

View PostDerek, on Apr 27 2006, 01:53 AM, said:

And you know what you call a dog with no legs?

Anything you like, he's not going to come anyway.

#45 dave1678

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:52 PM

all runs and walks are really just interuptions between smelling opportunities along the way.
[/quote]
My dog is the same. However if you take him away from regular walks like  in the country he is a far superior dog. Has run over 30K with me on a few occasions. He is a Kelpie/ Border Collie X with short black hair, loves running but heat or sun take it out of him. He's 10 now but still more than capable of solid running. I'm trying to keep his running below 6K at a stretch otherwise he slows me down. Ran 9K in the dark with him last week though and the only time I caught him was when he picked up this enormous bone and tried to run home with it! He was still cruising at 4 min K's with it. My dog is a good subject for my training theories also. Of course I have to do it with him.
Oh once he was going to break the world 2K record but stopped to pee with 20 metres left.

#46 David Edwards

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

View PostBailey, on Apr 26 2006, 11:46 AM, said:

Hi all,

Tonight my six month old Charlie (miniature Schnauzer)ran with me for the first time and I was wondering if many people run/train with their dogs and what distances they run and how often?

Happy running
Bailey  :)

Bailey

About as far as my dog runs is to it's feed bowl and back.  :blink:
Seriously though, a friend of mine is the worlds leading sulky manufacturer for the harness racing industry, and believe it or not, he also makes dog sulkies, which is also now a very big business/market.

#47 whitos

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

Hey there, I am a veterinarian and have done some journal searches on how early is too early to start exercising puppies.  There is no evidence on this issue.  Some vets believe you should wait (no running with people or adult dogs) until after joint closure (6mths-12mths depending on breed) especially in breeds predisposed to hip/elbow dysplasia (german sheppards, labradors, golden retrievers) but other vets suggest that you can start mild exercise at a younger age.  I would recommend that dog running could be built up in a similar way to us and to watch for any lameness.

#48 Shieldsy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

My coaches dog runs like its a human!

Does 90min-2hour runs no problems, does warm-ups with us, hill reps, you name it the dog will run with us all night long!

The worst part is once you stop running it just wants to keep chasing a ball or frisbi unbelievable how fit the coach's dog is

#49 Rags

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

I'd swear I saw a dog on a leash in the marathon yesterday doing about 5 hour pace, it was after I'd finished and before refreshments - did anyone else in the run or cheersquad see it? :blink:

#50 mel.b

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostDavid Edwards, on Jul 2 2006, 11:15 PM, said:

Bailey

About as far as my dog runs is to it's feed bowl and back.  
Seriously though, a friend of mine is the worlds leading sulky manufacturer for the harness racing industry, and believe it or not, he also makes dog sulkies, which is also now a very big business/market.

I would love to get one of these sulkies for my Malamute...she'd have a ball :)  We've just completed our longest run together of 95min and she had no trouble, although with about 1/2km until we reached home I had to give her a little nudge and say 'nearly home' but I think that may have more to do with the fact we were running past KFC :blink:

I want to get some 'saddlebags' for her so she can carry water, my keys, phone etc. Does anyone know where I could get some?

thanks,
mel.b

Edited by mel.b, 04 July 2006 - 06:29 PM.