Back to Bellarine Rail Trail Run
Run Details 2006
The Bellarine Rail Trail Run (34 or 68kms) will be held on Sunday 20th August 2006 starting at 8am from the Geelong Showgrounds (Cnr of Carr St & Breakwater Rd Melways Map 452 E9). There will be a 10 hour time limit. The course is from the Geelong Showgrounds to the Queenscliff Railway Station - 34km (Melways Map 486 K11) and return - 68km. The trail is tremendously scenic and ideal for running being wide, well marked and all on smooth, unsealed paths aside from the last 4.5kms (sealed). More information on the BRT can be found here
This event is based upon the original Fat Ass concept
of no entry fee, no help, no support, no assistance and No Wimps. However, a few new additions have been added that stray slightly (or maybe grossly) from the original concept:
- distance markers every 5kms
- provision for belongings to be transported to Queenscliff (although we cannot be responsible for valuables)
- transport back to the Geelong Showgrounds is available for those who require it (providing you register your intent in advance here).
- 5 drink / food stations (8, 16, 24, 34 & 51kms) where we will drop off the supplies you leave with us at the start – further details here.
- cost is now $100 (just kidding - still free!)
There are toilets at the start, at Drysdale (16.8kms) and at Queenscliff. There are no reliable drinking taps along the course so it is recommended that you utilise the above drink / food stations. The trail is also very easy to cycle (MTB or hybrid) and companion cyclists are more than welcome.
The course is relatively traffic free, but you do have to cross some major roads, so please take care. For this reason and in Fat Ass tradition, this is NOT A RACE but a runners get together run - there are no prizes for finishing first! We do request that you provide your name, contact number, intended running distance and sign a disclaimer at the start that the organiser is not responsible for any mishap which may occur - please allow time for this prior to run start. We will make all reasonable attempts to account for all starters at the end.
If you require additional incentive to coax family members along, consider mentioning any of:
- Geelong Market at the start point – will be up and running from about 7:30am and is large and varied in its offerings.
- Adventure Park, Bellarine Hwy (the Hwy to Queenscliff), Wallington (03) 5250 2756
- A Maze ‘N’ Things, Cnr Bellarine Hwy & Wallington Rd, Wallington (03) 5250 2669
- Bellarine Adventure Golf, Cnr Bellarine Hwy & Wallington Rd, Wallington (03) 5250 3770
- Queenscliff Steam Train. Departs Sundays from the Queenscliff Railway Station with the first train to leave at 11:15am. Details can be found here.
- Queenscliff itself has its own reputation. See here for more info.
- Queenscliff to Sorrento Ferry
For more details, questions or suggestions, feel free to contact Brett Coleman on 0438 434 260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.