Forum Posting Guidelines
Back to CoolRunning Policies and Reports
The main intent of our forums is for interested runners to ask a variety of questions and share information so please try to post messages that add some value - this is not meant to be a chat board (although there are designated chat-type areas), even so, threads such as jokes and the like are strongly discouraged and likely to be deleted.
- If you break these rules then expect to see the offending posts deleted. Multiple transgressions may see your posts moderated (you won't see them until we have approved them) or worse, your account will be banned.
- CoolRunning aims to be non-racist, non-sexist, non-ageist, non-elitest and wants to be welcoming to runners of all sizes, shapes and speeds.
- You should always post in a way that is respectful of other people. Flaming or abusing in any way will not be tolerated - this applies to being disrespectful of individuals or groups of individuals. A good rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't have the nerve to say it in person, don't post it. However much you disagree with someone, discuss their argument, don't attack the person. To use a sporting metaphor: play the ball, not the man.
- Deliberately provactive behaviour, baiting or trolling will not be tolerated.
- Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstances. One-off items for sale may be posted in the Buy'n'Sell section by individual runners (but not "traders" or shops) if relevant to Australian or New Zealand runners. In particular any spam (our definition) but includes inappropriate linking will result in immediate banning of a user. no questions asked. If it is your first ever post, this is a guarantee.
- CoolRunning takes paid advertising (see here) so do not advertise in the forums. However you can have a link etc in your signature. (Also see note below on declaring financial interest). The only exception is advertising a run based in Australia - we see this as a public service - however race directors are only allowed to start one thread per year on the event - expect to see multiple threads merged.
- Posting the same post multiple times in multiple locations is treated like spam - if you have something to say, do it once only. Many users use the "active topics" view and can multiple posts very easily.
- Where a race organiser has indicated that refunds or transfers are not allowed at their race, then anything that contravenes the particular race director's wishes is prohibited and will be removed. More details here.
- All inappropriate messages will be edited or removed as decided by the moderators. We try to be consistent in our action but there are multiple moderators each with their own perspective. We always try to do the best for CoolRunning. We also reserve the right to amend these guidelines as situations change.
- If you see messages that you think should be edited or removed then use the "Report" field next to each post ie .
- If you think your post has been removed and you want to know why then contact the moderators via an email to email@example.com. Arguing on the forums with moderators will see the arguments deleted and your account possibly banned.
- CoolRunning forums are a community of runners that have their own cultural norms built up over the past 10 years or so. You may have other norms possibly from other forums etc. However please try to fit in here. If you do not follow this advice, expect to see your posts moderated in some way, or even deleted..
- If you are new to CoolRunning, hang around for a few days to gauge how conversations work. Be advised that if you are very new and one of your first posts is trying to sell something, or fundraising, or to pass on some information about a "wonderful product" you have seen or promote your own website then this will be regarded as spam and deleted immediately.
- There's no such thing as a dumb question or posting. Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas, and experiences. Supporting one another is a big part of what this community is about.
- Choose a display name that's in good taste. If you select a name that we deem inappropriate, we'll delete your account immediately, often with no warning. You should not use the name of a real person, unless it's you (no impersonations of alive or dead people please).
- You should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is you should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, "weird" text, etc. Similarly you should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. multiple !!! and ??? etc) in topic titles or posts.
- You should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. A common example of a bad title is "Help me!" as it gives little indication what the topic is about. Moderators will frequently change topic titles to be more descriptive.
- You should declare financial or other bias in the signature of your posts, so that other people understand your bias when you post about subjects that you have an overwhelming interest in. More details here.
- You should never start a thread directed at a moderator or another reader - the messageboards are a many-to-many communication means not a one-to-one style of communications. To contact the moderators click the report tag ie on every post to send a note to the moderators or just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To send a note to another reader, click the email tag. If there isn't an email tag, the reader doesn't want to be contacted.
- If you lose your login details please contact us at email@example.com to reset it or investigate etc. We don't want to have lots of people with multiple accounts.
- Multiple accounts as such are ok, and useful in some cases eg if you want to "leak" some information without your employer or others knowing who, but you cannot use a 2nd account just to trash talk or cause trouble, or to 'rig' poll results.