Sydney Running Tracks
From CoolRunning Australia
Back to Sydney
General comments on tracks
- Most tracks have a unique atmosphere as well as facilities. Which track has the best set up depends on what type of event one is training for and the time of year.
- From a serious middle distance runner, two tracks that are recommended as supplying the best training year round training environment are the Crest and ES Marks.
- The track and cross country course at Bankstown are great, the only drawback to the site is the absence of a really substantial hill to train on and access to the site via public transport.
- Every suburb has one or more grass ovals, with varying distance around the permiter, and varying quality surface - usually semi-rough grass.
Sydney Running Tracks
- Auburn - Athletics Field, Wyatt Park, Olympic Drive, Auburn (enter via Church St). Surface: Grass. Tel (02) 9622-9859 (John Adams)
- Bankstown - The Crest Sporting Complex, McClean St, Bass Hill. Surface: Synthetic. Tel (02) 9707-9624 (Bankstown Council)
- Baulkham Hills - AH Whaling Reserve, Baulkham Hills. Surface: Grass. Tel (02) 9639-3305 (Steven Davidson)
- Blacktown - Blacktown Olympic Centre, Eastern Rd & phillip Parkway, Rooty Hill. Surface: Mondo. Tel (02) 9839-6591. Excellent hill & nearby running trails, good gym (planned)
- Campbelltown - Address: Campbelltown Sports Ground, Pembroke Road, Leumeah. Surface: Synthetic. Tel (02) 4626-3832 (Bob Edwards). Limited nearby running areas, no gym, short hills.
- Central Coast - Address: Mingara Athletics Centre, Mingarah Drive, Tumbi Umbi. Surface: Synthetic. Tel (02) 4349-7799.
- Chatswood - Address: Rotary Field, Mowbray Rd, Chatswood. Surface: Grass. Tel (02) 9983-1413 (Peter Hampshire).
- Concord - Address: St Lukes Park, Crane St, Concord. Surface: Grass. Tel ???.
- Epping - Epping Oval, North Epping. Surface: Grass.Tel (02) 9876-6457 (Fred O'Connor)
- Greystanes - Address: Greystanes Sporting Complex, Gipps Rd, Greystanes. Surface: Grass.Tel (02) 9896-4639 (Lawrie Barclay) or (02) 9636-7148 (Denis Knowles).
- Homebush - Address: Sydney Olympic Park Athletic Centre, Edwin Flack Drive, Homebush Bay. Surface: Mondo. Tel (02) 9752-3444. Limited nearby trails, no hills, gym for NSWIS,limited access hours, often busy.
- Hurstville - Olds Park, Hurstville. Tel (02) 9330-6222 (Hurstville Council).
- Illawarra - Address: Illawarra Regional Athletic Centre, Foleys Rd, Gwynneville. Surface: Synthetic. Tel (02) 4229-6004.
- Kensington - Address: Sydney Atletic Field (often called ES Marks), Anzac Parade & Dacey Avenue, Kensington (enter via Boronia St). Surface: Synthetic. Tel (02) 9339-4407 or (02) 9339-6699. ES Marks is wonderfully located near the city, there are plenty of different courses around Moore Park, Centennial Park and Queens Park that cater for off track running of any length or description and there are great hills to train on in Centennial Park. The drawback is the track is pretty hard and worn. Individual athletes who wish to train casually can take advantage of the open training nights at ES Marks Athletic Field, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30pm to 8:30pm. Initially this will be for a six month trial period, commencing Tuesday 23 November 2004. Entry to the facility is via Boronia Street. There is no requirement to book and a casual fee will be collected at the gate. It’s only $4 for adults and $2.50 for child/concession.
- Liverpool - Dwyer Oval.
- Marsfield - Address: Dunbar Park, Sobraon Rd, Marsfield. Surface: Grass. Tel (02) 9801-4407 (Ross Foster).
- Narrabeen - Address: Sydney Academy of Sport, Wakehurst Parkway, Narrabeen. Surface: Tartan. Tel (02) 9454-0222. Older harder track , good gym, some hills, limited trails at complex that are flattish.
- Newcastle - Address: North Power & Hunter Sports, Main Rd & Lake Rd, Glendale. Surface: Synthetic. Tel (02) 4953-6366.
- Rozelle - Address: King George Park, Byrnes St, Rozelle. Surface: Grass. Tel ???.
- St Marys - Blair Oval, St Marys. Surface: Grass. Tel (02) 9623-6608(Evelyn Stark)
- Sutherland - Waratah Athletic Park. Tel (02) 9710-0333 (Sutherland Council).
- Sylvania Waters - Address: Sylvania Waters Athletic Track, Belgrave Esplanade, Sylvania Waters. Surface: Synthetic. Tel (02) 9710-0605 (John Waters).
- Warwick Farm - Dwyer Oval.