Sydney West Metropolitan Cross Country
|Please bookmark this page as http://www.coolrunning.com.au/westmet|
This is a cross-country series in the Sydney Metro area that has been a staple of the Athletics NSW club scene for some years; most affiliated athletes get the race details via the West Met Series Handbook (available for $2 at each event). The website is here! This has all information and results. The 2013 series commenced March 30, 2013. Bookmark this page for regularly updated information, check out website, the CR Forum thread news, or join our Facebook group for all the latest!
List of contacts is here. Email questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Athletes interested in distance running of all ages and irrespective of club membership are welcome to compete in any of the West Met events. The purpose of the events is to cater for regular competitors who use the competition as part of their training for the NSW Championships or the summer track season. New competitors are welcome and social runners are also encouraged to enjoy the sport. Competitors must be registered with an Athletics NSW affiliated club or a Little Aths NSW Centre in order to be covered for personal accident insurance.
You don't have to be an affiliated club member to run the race the first time, you can officially run a trial.
Starting Times & Distances
On each Saturday afternoon, the first event is the shorter (1.5k-3k) and begins at 2pm. The medium distance event (3k-5k) begins at 2:25pm while the longer distance (7k-12k) will begin at 3pm. When entering at the start of the season, runners should indicate which division (short, medium, or long) that they wish to score points for. Runners can race in any or all of the events, although only the nominated event counts towards points.
$2 per entrant payable on the afternoon of competition or $20 for the full season of 16 afternoons. $2 per entrant entitles you to compete in all events that day if desired.
Competition age is the age the runner will be at 31st December 2013 for the purpose of points scoring. Divisions are:
- Under 10s
- Under 12s
- Under 14s
- Under 16s
- Under 20s
- Seniors 20-29
- Pre-vets 30-39
- Veterans 40-49
- Masters 50-59
- Golden Oldies 60 years+
There is no minimum age. Parents should consider their children's age and readiness to compete.
Point Scores & Awards
To be eligible for awards, competitors must have finished in at least 8 afternoons in their age division. The main objective of the West Met Series is to encourage as large as possible participation, to enjoy winter competition for serious championship aspirants and to encourage track competitors to use the events as conditioning for the summer season. If good fellow and friendship can be formed by this regular competition then the desired achievement will be fulfilled. A competitor may run more than one event on an afternoon but can only nominate only one event to score points from.
Points will be awarded for places based on the actual times in each of the events in the nominated division as follows: 1st=10 points, 2nd=9 points down to 9th= 2 points. All other runners receive 1 point.
Will be published on website after the completion of each afternoon's competition.
- A flat relatively fast course
- Flat course with slight rises
- Undulating course with slight hills
- A hard course with large and steep inclines
- A difficult course with large and steep inclines
Winter Season 2013
- WM1 30/03 Doonside: Anne Aquilina Reserve South, Eastern Rd
- WM2 06/04 Haberfield: Richard Murden Reserve, Hawthorn Parade (opposite Turner Ave)
- WM3 13/04 Concord: Queen Elizabeth Park, Broughton St (near Stanley St)
- WM4 27/04 Rydalmere: John St (opposite Nowill St)
- WM5 11/05 Bella Vista: Bella Vista Farm Park, Elizabeth Macarthur Drive
- WM6 18/05 Smithfield: Rosford St Reserve, Rosford/Dublin Sts
- WM7 25/05 Dundas: Upjohn Park, Kirby St (next to Nolan Oval)
- WM8 08/06 Ermington: George Kendall Riverside Reserve, Boyle St
- WM9 15/06 North Ryde: North Ryde Common, Twin Rd (near Numa Rd)
- WM10 29/06 Prospect: Prospect Reservoir, Reservoir Rd (bottom of dam wall)
- WM11 06/07 Winston Hills: Col Sutton Park
- WM12 20/07 Emu Plains: River Rd Reserve, River Rd
- WM13 27/07 Greystanes: Gipps Rd sporting complex, Gipps Rd (nearest street Long St)
- 10/08 NON POINTS Rydalmere: John St (opposite Nowill St)
- 17/08 HANDICAP Bella Vista: Bella Vista Farm Park, Elizabeth Macarthur Drive
- WM14 24/08 Dundas: Upjohn Park, Kirby St (next to Nolan Oval)
- WM15 31/08 Doonside: Anne Aquilina Reserve South, Eastern Rd
- 07/09 PRESENTATIONS Castle Hill: Heritage Park, Heritage Park Drive (off Old Castle Hill Rd)
Winter Season 2010
- Race 1; 27th March - Richard Murden Reserve, Haberfield.
- Race 2; 3rd April - Queen Elizabeth Park, Concord.
- Race 3; 10th April - North Bank Parramatta Park, Rydalmere
- Race 4; 17th April - Rosford Reserve, Smithfield
- Race 5; 8th May - George Kendall R S Park, Ermington
- Race 6; 15th May - Upjohn Park, Dundas
- Race 7; 22nd May - Col Sutton Parl, Winston Hills
- Race 8; 5th June - Common (Macquarie Hospital), North Ryde
- Race 9; 12th June - Bella Vista Farm Park, Baulkham Hills
- Race 10; 26th June - Prospect Reservoir, Prospect
- Race 11; 3rd July - River Road Reserve, Emu Plains
- Race 12; 24th July - Cowells Lane Rserve, Ermington
- Race 13; 31st July - Gipps Road Reserve, Greystanes
- Race 14; 14 August Rydalmere (John St) Handicap
- Race 15; 21 August Bella Vista (Elizabeth Macarthur Dr)
- Race 16; 28 August Dundas (Upjohn Park) non-points
- Race 17; 4 September West Auburn (Duck Creek) trophy preso & fun relay
Winter Season 2009
- Race 1 (Course Rating 1) – 4-Apr Sat West Met HABERFIELD Richard Murden Res Location
- Race 2 (CR 2) - 11-Apr Sat West Met CONCORD Queen Elizabeth Park Location
- Race 3 (CR 2) - 18-Apr Sat West Met RYDALMERE North Bank Parramatta River Location
- Race 4 (CR 2) - 25-Apr Sat West Met SMITHFIELD Rosford Reserve Location
- ANSW - 2-May Sat NSW Road Champs SOPAC
- ANSW - 9-May Sat NSW Novice XC Champs RAMSGATE, Scarborough Pk
- Race 5 (CR 2.5) - 16-May Sat West Met ERMINGTON George Kendall River Res Location
- Race 6 (CR 3.5) - 23-May Sat West Met DUNDAS Upjohn Park Location
- ANSW - 18-May Sun Half Marathon Sydney CBD Event Link
- ANSW - 30-May Sat NSW XC Relays MIRANDA PARK
- Race 7 (CR 3) - 6-Jun Sat West Met WINSTON HILLS Col Sutton Park Location
- Race 8 (CR 4) - 13-Jun Sat West Met NTH RYDE Ryde Common (Macquarie Hospital) Location
- ANSW – 20-Jun Sat NSW XC Champs (12km/8km) NOWRA
- Race 9 (CR 3) - 27-Jun Sat West Met BAULKHAM HILLS Crestwood Res. Location
- Race 10 (CR 2) - 4-Jul Sat West Met PROSPECT Prospect Reservoir (below Dam wall) Location
- ANSW - 11-Jul Sat NSW Road Relay Champs WOLLONGONG Flagstaff Pt
- ANSW - 18-Jul Sat NSW Short Course XC Champ CAMDEN Bicentennial Park
- Race 11 (CR 3.5) - 25-Jul Sat West Met EMU PLAINS River Rd Res. Location
- Race 12 (CR 2) - 1-Aug Sat West Met ERMINGTON Cowells Lane Res. Location
- Other - 9-Aug Sun City to Surf (14km) Sydney CBD to Bondi Beach Event Link
- Race 13 (CR 3) – 15-Aug Sat West Met GREYSTANES Gipps Road Sporting Comp Location
- ANSW – 16-Aug Sun NSW Half Marathon Champs GEORGES HALL Henry Lawson Dr
- West Met Handicap Events (CR 2) – 22 Aug Sat West Met RYDALMERE North Bank Parramatta River Location
- West Met Non Points (CR 2) – 29-Aug Sat PROSPECT Prospect Reservoir (below Dam wall) Location
- ANSW – 29-Aug Sat National XC Champ CAMDEN Cawdor Rd
- West Met Trophies Presentation (and run) (CR 2.5) - 5-Sep Sat Trophies Presentation WEST AUBURN Chisholm Rd Location
Winter Season 2008
- Race 1 - 29-Mar Sat West Met Haberfield Richard Murden Res.2k 2.00pm,3k-2.20pm 8k-3.
- Race 2 - 5-Apr Sat West Met Concord Queen Elizabeth Park
- Race 3 - 12-Apr Sat West Met Rydalmere North Bank Parramatta River
- Race 4 - 19-Apr Sat West Met Smithfield Rosford Reserve
- Other - 20-Apr Sun Mountain Running Champs TBA
- ANSW - 26-Apr Sat Novice XC Champs Scarborough PaRK
- ANSW - 3-May Sat Road Champs SOPAC
- Race 5 - 10-May Sat West Met Ermington George Kendall River Res.
- Other - 10-May Sat Aust Mountain Champs Canberra ACT
- Race 6 - 17-May Sat West Met Winston Hills Col Sutton Park
- ANSW - 18-May Sun Half Marathon Sydney CBD
- Race 7 - 24-May Sat West Met Dundas Upjohn Park
- ANSW - 25-May Sun NSW Team Walks TBA
- ANSW - 31-May Sat X Country Relays Miranda Park
- Race 8 - 7-Jun Sat West Met Nth Ryde Ryde Common Macquarie Hospital
- Race 9 - 14-Jun Sat West Met Baulkham Hills Crestwood Res.
- ANSW - 21-Jun Sat Long CXC Champs Nowra
- Race 10 - 28-Jun Sat West Met Prospect Prospect Reservoir
- ANSW 11 - 29-Jun Sun NSW Short Walks TBA
- Race 12 - 5-Jun Sat West Met Emu Plains River Rd Res.
- Race 13 - 12-Jun Sat West Met Ermington Cowells Lane Res.
- ANSW - 19-Jul Sat Short C XC Champ West Sydney Reg Park
- Race 14 - 26-Jul Sat West Met Greystanes Gipps Road Sporting Comp
- ANSW - 27-Jul Sun NSW Long Walks TBA
- ANSW - 2-Aug Sat Road Relay Champs Wollongong
- Other - 10-Aug Sun City to Surf Sydney CBD
- Race 15 - 16-Aug Sat West Met Meadowbank Meadowbank Memorial Park
- Race 16 - 23-Aug Sat West Met Enfield Ford Park
- Race 17 - 30-Aug Sat Trevor Lonard Memorial Prospect Reservoir
- Other - 6-Sep Sat Trophies Presentation West Auburn Chiswick Road
- ANSW - 22-Sep Sun NSW Marathon Champs Sydney CBD