The Bay Run
- The Bay Run starts anywhere around Iron Cove Bay follow the running /cycle path for a lap of the Bay which includes running over Iron Cove Bridge.
- On weekends there are literally hundreds of people out for a walk or run - its very pleasant by the bay, on the walking track, away from cars.
- Look out for the infamous Bay Boys every Sunday 8.30am in the carpark near Le Montage Restaurant off Lilyfield road. Come and join the boys and gals for a couple of laps around the Bay.
- The Woodstock Runners run around The Bay, or other nearby areas (Drummoyne, Five Dock, Balmain) every Saturday. They leave at 7:30am sharp, from Brett Park (Formosa St side).
- The CoolRunning Sydney 5km Challenge is held around part of the Bay Run each month but there are lots of CoolRunners in their fluoro gear most days.
- There is now an annual race around the Bay, each July, called The Bay Run.
- The lap is approx 7km
- There are many variations possible including at the old Lilyfield Rd bridge running down canal then crossing over at small pedestrian bridge (at the end of the dog park) then run up the other side of the canal. This adds approx 2km to the Bay run.
- Another addition is the loop thru Callan Park Hospital - this will add a further 1.7k - quite hilly.
- A third addition, instead of going over Iron Cove Bridge - continue under bridge and around to Shores. Here you will find the infamous Shores hill. Run hill, turn right at top and continue to Victoria road and back across Iron Cove Bridge. This will add a further 1.5km.
Virtually dead flat, follows waters edge.
There are a few "bubbler" water fountains
There are a few public toilets en route. The ones looked after by Leichhardt Council (in King Georges Park, Rozelle, and in the Dog Park, Hawthorne Canal, Leichhardt) are the most likely to be unlocked and clean (open 7am-6pm). Brett Park, Drummoyne, is only open 8am-5pm, and the ones in Robson Park (Haberfield, near the Timbrell Pde and City West Link intersection) and in the Richard Muirden Reserve on the Haberfield side of Hawthorne Canal Reserve (opposite the Dog Park) are also only open from about 8am, though the national public toilets site http://www.toiletmap.gov.au suggests they are supposed to be open daylight hours.
Run Route Details
A map is available below, but some good starting points are the Rodd Point car park, the Drummoyne Swimming Pool/Brett Park area, & the Leichhardt Pool area.
- Check out the CoolRunning Sydney 5km Challenge page also