CoolRunning Cairns 5km Challenge
From CoolRunning Australia
Revision as of 05:17, 16 June 2009 by AfricanViolet
This is a weekly 5km handicap challenge - see the discussion thread on CoolRunning for details on the time and place of the next run.
For details on our 30th Anniversary Celebrations - see our social page
Details for the 5K Handicap Challenge
- What - Social Run with the Cairns Roadies. ALL welcome. You don't have to be a memeber to participate. Entry Free.
- When - Each Wednesday night in June 2009. Then there is a three-week break and we start up again on 22 July.
- Where - Start at North End of Muddy's Playground on the Esplanade (corner of Esplanade and Upward Street). Parking available at the tennis courts.
- What - 5km run along the Esplanade path with handicap starts (you nominate your time).
- Time - Meet just before 5:30pm, first runners (the 30min group) start at 5:35pm, 25min group at 5:40pm etc. Listen to the starter who will be calling start times.
- Nitty Gritty - No fees. Everyone is welcome. Complete the the waiver/entry form and write your name on the results sheet. Include your nominated time. After the race, record your actual run time.
- Organiser - Lorraine Lawson (phone 041 7798 444)
- Terrain - Flat. Run along the Esplanade walking path, turn right onto the concrete path and follow the road (run on the cycle path or dirt footpath) to the turnaround point. Return along the cycle path back to the start. You'll cross two side roads leading into carparks. LOOKOUT for cars. The Esplanade is busy this time of the evening with other walkers, runners and cyclists on the paths.
- The course has orange markers at turnaround points.
- Route Map - click here
- Run or Walk. 5K or 3K. (10K route will be available in July).
- After the race join us for a sausage sizzle ($2.00) and soft drink ($1.00).
- The current course record is held by Steve Cunningham, who ran 18:38. Idan Piercy was the closed to the nominated time and only out by 6sec. Good work, Idan!
- This is a new run format for the club run, so please talk to Lorraine after the event or share suggestions and feedback on the discussion forum.
- Click here: 10 June, 3 June and 27 May 2009
- To other DIY Pages