Back to New South Wales
From a runners perspective, there are a LOT of runners in Sydney with a lot of races, clubs and places to run.
- Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb - None (Summer) - but keep in shape with the FREE Sydney Summer Twilight series
- Mar - Six Foot Track Marathon (approx 700)
- Apr - Canberra Marathon (approx 800)
- May - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon (always filled by April - no entries on the day - approx 4000)
- Jun - MiniMosMarathon (10km) (approx 1000)
- Jul - Sutherland to Surf (11km) (approx 3000)
- Aug - City to Surf (approx 60,000)
- Aug - Pub to Pub
- Sept - Sydney Marathon Festival (Marathon, Half & 10km) (approx 10,000)
- Oct -
Places to Run
- See Sydney Suburbs page (All over, general)
- Some Sydney Striders runs here (North, South, East, Inner West)
- Some Woodstock runs here (Inner West)
- Some Campbelltown Joggers runs here (South)
- Run The Planet lists some runs also (All over, general)
Running Clubs & Groups
For the time time being there are a lot of clubs listed on the NSW Clubs page of Coolrunning but some key clubs are:
- Sydney Striders (North, City, Inner West etc)
- Woodstock Runners (Inner West)
- Bondi Brats (Eastern Suburbs)
- This is not a club but an ad hoc group of people that do a weekly speed session in the Sydney CBD : Pain In The Domain
Places to buy Running gear incl. shoes
These stores are very runner friendly and highly recommended:
- Athletic Edge, 48 Frenchmans Rd, Randwick NSW 2031 ph: (02) 9399-3669. (website)
- The Runners Shop, 223 Clovelly Rd, Clovelly NSW 2031 ph: (02) 9315-8711 (website)
- Sydney Running Centre, Edgecliff Centre, Shop 21, 203-213 New South Head Rd, Edgecliff NSW 2027 ph: (02) 9545-6010 (website)
- Southside Runners - A small shop but very friendly and helpful. 2 / 29 East Parade, Sutherland NSW 2232 ph: (02) 9545-6010 (website)
- Running Science- These guys have podiatrists and physios in store with onsite video gait analysis on a treadmill! Very good. On Victoria Rd in Rozelle. (website)
These stores are not so runner focussed by may be useful:
- Paul's Warehouse, ph (02) 9764-3233 (website), lots of locations Campbelltown, Parramatta, Sydney CBD, Blacktown, Miranda, Port Kembla, Gosford, Newcastle, Penrith (store addresses)
- The New Balance Store, 198 Pacific Highway, Crows Nest NSW 2065 ph 1800-785-785 (Sydney store website) or the New Balance online shop.
- Nike, 130 Parramatta Rd, Auburn NSW 2144. ph: 02 9648 3789. (website)
- Olympus Sports, Shop 17 The Grove, 166- 174 Military Rd, Neutral Bay, tel: 02-9953-4522 (website)
- Athletes Foot (website), lots of locations Bondi Junction, Brookvale, Burwood, Castle Hill, Chatswood, Eastgardens, Erina, Hornsby, Liverpool, Miranda, North Ryde, Parramatta, Penrith, St Ives, Sydney CBD, Tuggerah, Wollongong (store addresses)
- Rebel Sport, ph (02) 9795-6500(website), lots of locations Auburn, Bankstown, Blacktown, Bondi, Broadway, Brookvale, Cambelltown, Charlestown, Chatswood, Eastgardens, Erina, Hornsby, Miranda, Parramatta, Penrith, Rockdale, Sydney CBD, Tuggerah, Wollongong (store addresses)
- Sportsco, ph (02) 9597-7277 (website), lots of locations Ashfield, Bankstown, Burwood , Erina, Fox Studios, Liverpool, Mt Druitt, East Gardens, Sydney CBD, Randwick (store addresses)
- Sportscene, (website), Numerous Locations
Many cycling/camping shops sell a good range of sports drinks, camelbaks, drink holders, fluro gear for night running:
- Clarence St Cyclery, 104 Clarence St, Sydney CBD, NSW 2000. ph (02) 9299-4962 (website)
- Paddy Pallin, ph (02) 9525-6829(website). Numerous stores Miranda, Parramatta, Sydney CBD, Katoomba(store addresses)
Medical & Doctors
- Sydney Sports Medicine Centre Homebush, Olympic park Olympic Boulevarde, Tel (02)9764-3131, Dr Donald Kuah. They also have Physiotherapists (Brent Kirkbride is the Athletics Australia head Physio), Podiatrists, Nutritionist etc. They treat many runners and other athletes.
- Michael Solano is an osteopath at Bondi Junction who treats a lot of runners. He is at Eastern Suburbs Osteopathy, 282-290 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction. Phone: (02) 9386 5200. $75 a visit, but if you're with a health fund you should get around $25 back.
- Dr Irwin Light. His phone number is (02)9261-9261 and is located in the HSBC Building Pavilion Plaza, mezzanine level, 580 George St Sydney (cnr George and Bathurst Sts). He is a runner (first marathon in the 1960s!) and has treated many many runners over many years. I remember seeing him with a bad foot, a few years back, and asking whether it would be ok for my 80km race at the weekend. He didn't bat an eyelid....
- Parramatta Bone and Joint Clinic
- Dr Diana Robinson has just joined the Sydney Sportsmed Specialists. She has alot of experience with runners and triathletes. Sportsdoc
- Sydney Sportsmed Specialists have sports physicians in the CBD on Macquarie street- (92310102) Dr Ibrahim, Dr Kuah, Dr Robinson and Dr Dixon (http://www.sydneysportsmedspecialists.com.au)
- Sportswise Medical Practitioners, 2C, 9-13 Young St Sydney NSW 2000. Tel (02)9251-0822. (near Circular Quay). Specialise in Podiatry.
- Martin Horne at the Care Clinic is great for orthotics, ankles, kness and other chiropractor-type injuries. Based at Gladesville.
- Sydney Spine & pelvis physio in Drummoyne are very good. Address is 101 Lyons Rd Drummoyne NSW 2047. ph: (02) 9719-9114
- Dr. John Orchard, who runs the [injuryupdate website is a runner himself and sports physician, specialising in muscle and tendon injuries. He is based at Sydney Uni (9351-8118) and Kensington (9663-5999).
- Back on track Podiatry are based in Hornsby and specialise in runners and sports injuries.
- Heel Clinic specialises in Plantar Fasciitis (Heel Spur Syndrome) treating the structural cause (98% - 99% of cases) over 6000 patients treated. See website. Heel Clinic: Suite 302/26 Ridge Street North Sydney NSW 02 9955 1611.