This page last updated: Saturday 20 March 2010
For more info about Australian Ultra Runners' Association click here
2004 Caboolture Historical Dusk to Dawn 6/12 hour Event
Race Director's Report | Results | Runner Commments | Photos
Race Director's Report
What can one say but thanks for a beautiful evening (no rain) and a track full of keen enthusiastic athletes, totalling 72.
In the 6hour, 19 solo competitors with 7 x 3 person relay teams.
The 12hour had 10 solo along with 2 x 6 person relay teams.
This year the 12hour-relay team was introduced hopefully to keep company with the solo competitors. It proved successful & exciting with fresh athletes circulating every 2hours. They enhanced the spirit of the solo competitors whilst entertaining the lapscorers.
The mayor once again sent the field on their journey with the rattling of the famous cowbell. Quickly the fast relay runners found their stride circulating lap after lap shoulder to shoulder whilst the ultra solo competitors having prearranged their tactics put them into play.
Two relay teams being the men from Toowoomba called "The Mountain Men" and our local heroes "The Caboolture Road Runners" battled for first place for the 6 full hours. Finally "The Mountain Men" succeed in reaching 86.354 kilometres over 85. 830k's
Adrian Pearce was first with 68.349 kilometres, followed by John Pearson with 65.849 k's & Daniel Darcy with 60.752k's. The fastest lady was Theresa Fabian with 56.742 k's, followed by local walking star Judy Moller walking a total of 46.58k's.
In the 12hour excitement & interest was always present with the close competitiveness & humour between the relay teams and watching the ease inwhich Martin Schot circulated accumulating kilometre after kilometre. Martin is believed to have set a track record (which will be confirmed) of 118.236 kilometres. After finishing he went for a shower walking back barefooted over the deco track without any obvious limp or sore muscles. 2nd was Ian Valentine with 113.732 k, followed by Paul Woodhouse with 111.162k's Wamuran lady, Lyn Lewis was the fastest reaching 88.843 k, keenly followed by Caboolture women Kerrie Hall with 74.340 k's.
The event was held totally in good spirit encouraged by great music & regular telephone radio updates. Competitors had the opportunity to talk on air whilst circulating. This gave listeners first hand an inside of the suffering, yet enjoyment competitors experience. It was a great night, numbers far exceeded expectations. Even the canteen closed slightly earlier due to food shortage caused by the unexpected large interest.
Thank you to the competitors, the lapscorers, the crews, the Mayor, my wife, business supporters, and all volunteers from the Caboolture Historical Village, each of you have helped to make this a successful year. We again look forward to the sportsmanship future of this event.
6 Hour Results1. Adrian Pearce - 136 laps + 349.4 metres
2. John Pearson - 131 laps + 349.4 m
3. Daniel Darcy _ 121 laps + 252.8m
4. Geoff Holmes - 118 laps + 87.8m
5. Errol Holmes - 117laps + 11m
6. Theresa Fabian - 113laps + 242.4m (1st lady)
7. Adam Barron - 106 laps + 8.6m
8. Paul Ewing - 103 laps
9. Eero Periaho - 101 laps + 112.3m
10. Chris Clark 100 laps + 261.5m
11. Col Colquhoun - 95 laps + 225.8m
12. Judy Moller - 93 laps + 8.7m (1st lady walker)
13. John Harris - 84laps + 260.4m (1st male walker)
14. Julie Schrag - 79 laps + 369.2m
15. Tina Fiegel - 76 laps + 240.6m
16. Bill Thompson - 76 laps
17. Mark Sparshott - 65 laps + 8.6m
18. Mark Parsonson - withdrew ill
6 Hour Relay teams1. Mountain Men - 172 laps + 354.1m
2. Caboolture Road Runners - 171 laps + 330.1m
3. The Under Toads - 158 laps + 415.4m
4. Team Don't Walk - 149 laps + 233.6m
5. Karen Plus - 131 laps + 80m
6. Jack's Team - 128 laps
7. Fullmooners - 120 laps + 443.7m
8. Mother Hen & her Chicks - 120 laps + 227.2m (1st lady team)
9. Misfits - 119 laps
12 Hour Results1. Martin Schot - 236 laps +482.9metres
2. Ian Valentine - 227 laps + 232.8m
3. Paul Woodhouse - 222 laps + 162m
4. Geoff Last - 212 laps + 395m
5. Graeme Watts - 201 laps
6. Peter Gardiner - 193 laps + 162.7m
7. Lyn Lewis - 177 laps + 343.2m ( 1st lady )
8. Joe Raftery - 161 laps + 307.3m
9. Kerrie Hall - 148 laps + 340.5m
10. Adam Gould - withdrew injured.
12 Hour Relay1. Top Gun - 299 laps + 373.5m
2. Sunshine Runners - 283 laps + 373.5m
CommentsComments from runners are here
PhotosBy Adrian Pearce, email email@example.com.
Feel Free to send your photos or race report for addition to this page - email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on thumbnail to get full size photo