Frankston to Portsea
|Please bookmark this page as http://www.frankston.ultraoz.com|
Due to insurance and safety issues, the 38th Frankston to Portsea run in 2010 was the last official race. Since 2010, a handful of runners have gathered each year to maintain the traditon by running the original course in the "Fat Ass" style of no entry fees, no publicity and definitely no fanfare. This they do of their own accord.
Detailed information about the cancellation can be found on the following coolrunning thread
As for the Fat Ass version, No entry forms are needed. Just arrive for the 7am start at the corner of Davey Street and the Nepean Highway in Frankston, a bayside suburb of Melbourne (Melway ref. Map 102 C2) and meet in the car park behind the night club on the south east corner. All standards of runners/walkers are welcome. Take as long as you like (we promise to wait for you!). If you think you may take longer than eight hours then you are welcome to make an early start but please let me know if you prefer this option. The traditional finishers block of chocolate is still handed out
This is a do-it-yourself run. Bring your own crew members or look after yourself via the plentiful shops and service stations on route.
Transport back to the start once the run is completed needs to be organised prior to the day of the run so make sure you call on 0425733336 if you require assistance.
The spreadsheet containing the early history of the event [Pre 1987] is incomplete and remains a work in progress. I would be glad to hear from anyone who may be able to supply fresh information.
Some highly recommended reading of interest. The Incomparable History of the Frankston to Portsea
- Make sure you read the important information at this link http://www.coolrunning.com.au/ultra/wiki/uploads/2/2a/F2P_pre_run_instructions.doc
- For more info contact Kevin Cassidy
- Results and reports from 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996,
- To view all results since 1973 plus all time best times, access the spreadsheet at the following link : http://www.coolrunning.com.au/ultra/wiki/uploads/5/53/Frankston_to_Portsea_all_time_results_spreadsheet.xls
- Frankston-Portsea Route Directions and Description (text)
- Courtesy of Bruce Hargreaves, an aerial map of the course can be found at : http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2711090
- Courtesy of Bruce Hargreaves, a 10 minute You Tube video of the 2009 run can be found at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3xYNrJhrc
- 2010 images by Bruce Payne can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankstontoportsea2010/
- 2010 images by Berny Hughes can be found at: http://coolrunning.smugmug.com/CoolRunners-at-the-races/2010-Races/Frankston-to-Portsea-2010/11829685_6945x#836219067_FoY9V
- 2010 images by Robert and Jane Sturzaker can be found at the following two links:
- 2009 images by Brett Saxon can be found at: http://picasaweb.google.com/brettsrunforcanteen/F2P#